Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a kid everyone feared polio and smallpox. Where are they now? Why?
They're gone. Because we got viable vaxes. Smallpox is eradicated all over the world, polio is eradicated in large parts of the world.

But neither the smallpox virus nor the poliovirus mutated as badly as the coronavirus has shown to do. Best case, we get a working vax and the virus doesn't mutate badly enough to invalidate the vax. Worst case, the virus mutates badly enough that every effing new strain requires a redesigned vax, much as it is with the common flu. We just don't know yet. Time will show. But Moderna's redesign of their vax to fit the new ZA strain makes me hopeful.

After a year of wearing mask whenever in indoor public facilities (grocery store, airport, etc.) and talking to stranger, it feel kind of naked without it, especially now in Texas, where I live, we no longer need to wear it. I'll keep doing it, even though I have been vaccinated.

Just got another negative PCR test result for my trip to Maldives this Friday. Their requirement is to have this negative PCR test result within 96 hours from the departure time, not arrival time since the flight from Houston to Male takes 20 hour flight time + 9 hour layover + 11 hour (ahead) time difference, for a total of 40 hours of time lost just for traveling. I'll leave at 11pm on Friday and will arrive at noon on Sunday.

I can say that I manage to be COVID-19 free for more than a year.

I can say that I manage to be COVID-19 free for more than a year
As can most of us who have observed proper procedures for a year or so.

It ain't much to boast about. It sucks, but it ain't much to boast about.

As can most of us who have observed proper procedures for a year or so.

It ain't much to boast about. It sucks, but it ain't much to boast about.

The reason I mention it is because quite a few of people here are giving me hard times for traveling (I went to Cocos in December, Socorro in January, Belize in February and will be in Maldives in few days). They called me irresponsible idiot, delusional and selfish.

quite a few of people here are giving me hard times for traveling
Add me to that list. I've hardly been wet for the last year, because getting wet usually means violating good infection prevention procedures. As does travelling.

This, too, will (most probably) pass. Waiting it out sucks majorly, but drowning in your own phlegm (or being responsible for someone other drowning in their own phlegm) sucks a lot more.

The reason I mention it is because quite a few of people here are giving me hard times for traveling (I went to Cocos in December, Socorro in January, Belize in February and will be in Maldives in few days). They called me irresponsible idiot, delusional and selfish.
Hope you have a great time.
We went to cozumel in October 2020 , no covid but a not so fun hurricane.
We are going to the red sea end of april so we shall see what if anything happens . We have family and friends who think we are crazy but then again I think the entire world is crazy so there you go...... Have a great time.....

Reactions: Dan
Add me to that list. I've hardly been wet for the last year, because getting wet usually means violating good infection prevention procedures. As does travelling.

This, too, will (most probably) pass. Waiting it out sucks majorly, but drowning in your own phlegm (or being responsible for someone other drowning in their own phlegm) sucks a lot more.

I waited until December to start traveling, once the country I went to, started to get their pandemic situation under control and open for tourism. They were glad that we were there as they were really need to bring their economy back after 9 months of shutdown.

So, you’re saying life will never go back to normal then?
I expect one of three outcomes:

1 The existing vaccines continue to be effective and over two or three years the world gets completely vaccinated.
2 New variants arise and evade those vaccines and we get annual best guess vaccines as per the flu. Lots of people in poor countries die. Fewer people die in richer countries. Vaccine deniers gradually become extinct. Drug company shares soar,
3 New variants arise, evade existing vaccines and new ones are generally too late so we are in perpetual new waves. Lots more people die all over the place, people get used to more death. Not wearing a mask is like smoking or drinking and driving. Amazon takes over the world.

1 is unlikely, 2 starts to look like a good outcome, 3 hmmm

Hope you have a great time.
We went to cozumel in October 2020 , no covid but a not so fun hurricane.
We are going to the red sea end of april so we shall see what if anything happens . We have family and friends who think we are crazy but then again I think the entire world is crazy so there you go...... Have a great time.....

Thanks.

You’ll enjoy Red Sea. I was there in December 2019, Trip Report - BDE Trip Report, 21-28 December, 2019

I suggest you get vaccinated for COVID-19 if you have not done so. Also, if you need to get negative PCR test before you go there, COVID-19 Testing & Health Services | Curative near your home should be able to get you the PCR test free of charge. I have done it twice here in Houston. Before I got it through Quest Diagnostics for $130 / swab test.

From what you learned in this thread, it’s also wise to get you a travel insurance with COVID-19 rider just in case you are contracting the virus and requiring hospitalization or quarantine there. I include a contingency plan of 2+ week of overseas stay added to my schedule vacation trip.

I agree with them. You have excercised your personal freedoms without considering your personal responsibily as a human being.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom