Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to the OP for providing the link, I appreciate the read and it was well written/layed out

I have had to undergo state ordered hotel isolation for 14 days twice. I can be a tough experience and is not for people that have any mental health issues. It was much easier the second time around but still something I am not wanting to repeat.
What people need to remember is that when you are forced into state ordered quarantine you are at the mercy of what ever state/country you happen to be in.
Luckily for me it was in Australia and was first world. You are in essence a "prisoner" for the isolation period and are solely reliable on the conditions provided by your "captor" (food/living conditions & medical assistance)
Hotel quarantine in a 2nd/3rd world country is obviously not for the faint hearted. This should be part of your risk assessment prior to travelling.

Of course there are ways to enter Indonesia, this is Indonesia afterall.

Why didn't you then since you won't bring anything nasty to the country.

Business visa for a social visit!!! Forgot about this practice only applied to Indonesia at the moment.

Can’t you read what I said?
I rather not do it as I see that they are not ready.
What part of that phrase do you not understand?

I plan to bring 6 buddies with me there in August if the country is open for foreign tourism. I don’t want to be responsible for doing something illegal.

Once Indonesia is open for foreign tourism, I would make sure everyone in my group;
(1) to get the vaccine before traveling,
(2) to have travel insurance that include COVID-19 rider and
(3) to have contingency plan for 2+ week extended stay if they were tested positive for the virus, requiring hospitalization or quarantine, before heading home.
If they are not capable and willing to do all those requirements, then I would not let them go with me.

Thanks to the OP for providing the link, I appreciate the read and it was well written/layed out

I have had to undergo state ordered hotel isolation for 14 days twice. I can be a tough experience and is not for people that have any mental health issues. It was much easier the second time around but still something I am not wanting to repeat.
What people need to remember is that when you are forced into state ordered quarantine you are at the mercy of what ever state/country you happen to be in.
Luckily for me it was in Australia and was first world. You are in essence a "prisoner" for the isolation period and are solely reliable on the conditions provided by your "captor" (food/living conditions & medical assistance)
Hotel quarantine in a 2nd/3rd world country is obviously not for the faint hearted. This should be part of your risk assessment prior to travelling.

Yes, I have those contingencies in my travel plan. I have DiveAssure travel insurance with COVID-19 rider and put aside additional 2+ week stay there, should I be tested positive for the dang virus requiring hospitalization or quarantine. Hopefully I would be a-symptomatic since I have been vaccinated.

I grew up in Indonesia. Maldives can’t be worse than Indonesia. Besides, after the first incident, I’m sure they learn the lesson and improve their process in treating their foreign tourists if they want to survive in this business.

Can’t you read what I said?
What part of that phrase do you not understand?

I plan to bring 6 buddies with me there in August if the country is open for foreign tourism. I don’t want to be responsible for doing something illegal.

Once Indonesia is open for foreign tourism, I would make sure everyone in my group;
(1) to get the vaccine before traveling,
(2) to have travel insurance that include COVID-19 rider and
(3) to have contingency plan for 2+ week extended stay if they were tested positive for the virus, requiring hospitalization or quarantine, before heading home.
If they are not capable and willing to do all those requirements, then I would not let them go with me.
Who are NOT ready? Read what you had written!!!! There was no mention on anyone else except yourself and your friends and whatnot in Indonesia.
Buddies or clients! LOL

It is still down to individual Gov to decide and not down to certain personal point of view.

And people are talking about going where it is open. Travel restrictions at tourist destinations are easing slowly. I think by the end of the year many of the tourist destinations will be open.

There is also emerging evidence that the Oxford vaccine also significantly reduces transmission, even after a single dose. In the UK Public Health England said at the outset to not get too fixated by efficacy percentages in the trials. Real world data is often different. In the case of these vaccines the real world efficacy, so far, seems to be that there is little to choose between the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines. They are both extremely effective vaccines in all age groups in terms of preventing deaths, hospitalizations, sever disease, mild disease and crucially transmission.

Dan, it's not about YOU traveling to a safer environment. It's about what YOU and OTHERS are bringing with them to that environment. This argument should not be about I or ME. It's about keeping others safe by not introducing them to the virus.
Just as a lot of folks don't understand (or don't care) why we're wearing masks. No, I don't wear a mask for me, because I know crap about proper donning and doffing procedures. I wear a mask to protect you from my possible infection, and I'd appreciate that you did the same. Masks work when everyone is carrying one.

And don't get me effing started about how hard it is. Surgeons wear a mask during a multiple-hour operation. They manage, and they go to work the next day, probably wearing a mask then as well. Snowflake.

Who are NOT ready? Read what you had written!!!! There was no mention on anyone else except yourself and your friends and whatnot in Indonesia.
Buddies or clients! LOL

What do you think “they” means? It means Indonesian government is not ready. If they are, they’ll issue the tourist visa. So, in the meantime, I’ll just go to other places just as good & ready to accept foreign tourism, such as Cocos, Galápagos, Malpelo, Maldives, etc.

Ha ha so self-oriented.
There are other countries that would not let you in no matter what you had claimed/done eg. Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines and Thailand just to name a few.
You probably could not even enter Canada as US citizen!
Yes Canada is closed to non essential travel from the USA. Heavy fines are being issued too.

What do you think “they” means? It means Indonesian government is not ready. If they are, they’ll issue the tourist visa. So, in the meantime, I’ll just go to other places just as good & ready to accept foreign tourism, such as Cocos, Galápagos, Malpelo, Maldives, etc.
Go and read what you had written! There is no way that "they" is referring to Indonesian Gov. In that sentence only friends and relatives were mentioned and nothing else.
Do I really care where you bring your clients to?

Back
Top Bottom