COVID 19 and Scuba Tank Refills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skating101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just asking a question I haven't found a response to anywhere.

What is the chance of the COVID 19 virus getting into a scuba tank refill, i.e. someone infected coughing near the air inlet valve for the compressor.

Would the virus survive inside the tank?

My guess there is a risk of the virus entering through the air intake of a compressor and therefore into a tank if a positive Covid-19 person coughed into the air intake.

Would the virus survive?

How hot does a compressor run?

With reference to SARS which is also the same family of viruses.
  • Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction).
Assuming the virus survives the process into your scuba tank, how long it would survive inside it is debatable, there are no studies done to demonstrate the survivability of Covid-19 under pressure on an aluminium or steel surface as far as I'm aware.

Dont forget it is very dry air.

That's definitely not supported by the numbers in that thread you linked.

Ya that's why I said I wasn't sure about it. It was the answer google gave when I searched for "What is the humidity of the air in scuba tanks", taken from that thread for some reason.

Hey, the 4" of activated charcoal in a Bauer P0 compressor filter is a hell of a lot more than is used in any personal use biological or chemical warfare filter assy. The felt wipes also don't hurt. Heating the air through 3 or 4 stages of compression also does a very good job of killing everything alive in the air.

If the Corona Virus is still capable of striking people down after having gone through a scuba compressor - mankind doesn't have any survival chance, we should ignite all the hydrogen bombs and commit worldwide mass suicide. Since that isn't the case, just take normal precautions, stay at least 5' away from other people, have sex by yourself, and order everything from Amazon.
Gloves and facemasks are usefull, but until you also learn how to take them off without contacting your skin with contaminated materials, they aren't as big a help as you may think.

Michael

Thanks for the detailed response! It seemed like a silly question but there wasn't an obvious answer anywhere online.

There's no silly questions, not asking and keeping your mouth shut can be worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom