• NAUI

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • IANTD

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
As for your dismissal of everything I say because I happen to think that air has no place in diving...well, your statement sounds pretty extreme to me. Do you always make snap judgments like that?

"Makes me wonder about the validity of your statements" is what I said. Even a dead clock is right 2 times a day.

I evaluate the source of information. Someone who dismisses Jon lines as being dangerous in all situations, someone who dismisses air as only being fit for filling tires, and someone who makes bogus statements about the operation of computers should expect their unsupported statements to receive additional scrutiny rather than unquestioned acceptance.

Despite your tone you are right on two points, however, I fail to see where I made bogus statements about computers.

If you'd like to talk about air, we can do that too. I gave my reasons for not diving air.

I made a statement, which I feel is true. If you think it's false, I'm happy to tell you why I think it's true. If you want justifications, just ask. I'm not going to put them into every post.

I'm getting a little tired of people going off the deep end every time I say something. Either discuss it, or don't.

To me these statements are as obvious as saying "the sky is blue". Then you come along and say "your dismissal of the possibility that the sky may be green makes me doubt everything you say".

It's getting a little annoying, and it's boring to have to defend your character all the time. You should doubt everything you hear on the interet, and figure out for yourself if the informatino makes sense. This is life support, not golf. Making mistakes in this sport can be very costly. Just because someone was right (or wrong) before, does not mean they will be again. Having done a big dive also doesn't mean that someone has all the answers.

Use the noodle!

<snip>
It's getting a little annoying, and it's boring to have to defend your character all the time.
Is it because you are full of BS or everyone else is. 10 000 to 1 it is you. If it’s boring, defending your lack of character, please go post on a board that only wants to hear what a closed minded individual has to say.

<snip>
I'm getting a little tired of people going off the deep end every time I say something. Either discuss it, or don't.
You are the one that is not engaging in discussion. You only state an unsubstantiated opinion. Without backing up your point with clear and valid reasons to substantiate your opinion, people give your statements no validity.

Pez, I keep trying to debate the issues. Look at my last post. You however, are not debating the issues, you are again attacking my character. You are even starting to be insulting. I don't consider myself close minded at all. However, I'm not going to change my mind until I am convinced that my previous opinion was wrong.

As for telling me to go post on another board, that is again unfriendly and uncalled for.

I suggest you do whatever it is you need to do to proceed in a friendly manner, AS I HAVE! If not, I suggest YOU leave the discussion, if you can't keep it friendly and focused on the issues.

No offense, but I didn't come here to engage in petty name calling.

Braunbehrens,

I think people are mixing you up with those other guys.

Sigh... you may be right.

When I first got interested in DIR I went through flame war after flame war. I was genuinely insterested, and wasn't going to let a bit of sandpaper get in my way of figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, DIR really has gotten a bad name among some people, and they tend to put us all into the same bag.

It's kind of funny if you think about it...the intolerance of intolerance.

--

There are two kinds of poeple. Those that classify people into two categories and those that don't.

Okay, I am asking for justifications for your statements. Please justify them, in your posts. If you don't then we cannot debate them. You are the one that said you wouldn't post justification unless asked for, I am asking.

From my point of view you are only willing to see the merits of one system and you do not consider any other training agency or system to have any validity. This IMO is close minded. Sorry if this offends you.

You are the one complaining about having to defend your character all the time, I am only suggesting a solution to your problem when I suggested that you post somewhere else. I would much rather see you continue to post your defence of your character here, it would be sad to lose you.

DIR does not have a bad name. I as well as many people (see DIR poll) think it has an excellent reputation as one of the foremost dive systems and GUE has an excellent reputation as one of the foremost training agencies. It is closed minded individuals that blindly state that one system is the right and only system to dive, that have a bad name.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
Okay, I am asking for justifications for your statements. Please justify them, in your posts. If you don't then we cannot debate them. You are the one that said you wouldn't post justification unless asked for, I am asking.

From my point of view you are only willing to see the merits of one system and you do not consider any other training agency or system to have any validity. This IMO is close minded. Sorry if this offends you.

You are the one complaining about having to defend your character all the time, I am only suggesting a solution to your problem when I suggested that you post somewhere else. I would much rather see you continue to post your defence of your character here, it would be sad to lose you.

DIR does not have a bad name. I as well as many people (see DIR poll) think it has an excellent reputation as one of the foremost dive systems and GUE has an excellent reputation as one of the foremost training agencies. It is closed minded individuals that blindly state that one system is the right and only system to dive, that have a bad name.

Pez, I did talk about the differences between TDI and GUE in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27125&perpage=25&display=&pagenumber=3

I'm fairly new here so I don't know how to reference a particular message, but there are two messages in a row that should provide a starting poing on page 3. I was assuming that everyone reading this thread was reading that thread too, but maybe that's a mistake. I'm used to mailing lists which are a little more serial in nature.

I'm not closed minded, or blind. I have taken PADI, IANTD, TDI and GUE classes. I made up my mind as to which one was best. All I'm doing is trying to save people money, aggravation, and possibly some very unsafe diving.

It is a complicated subject, and I'm sure there are good people in every agency. However, my experience, both with the materials and the content is that GUE is worlds better.

The fact that I'm not that great at explaining why does not mean it isn't so, nor that I'm closed minded.

If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom