• NAUI

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • IANTD

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to learn it the right way, using the most current methodology, and deco models, go with GUE. PADI is to early in their training stages, TDI is a complete waste of time, CMAS should not even be on the list. IANTD is pretty good, but you need to select the instructor carefully.

GUE is really your only sure thing.

I would also say find the instructor that fits what you are looking for, I have been fortunate to have been diving with some really good divers unfortunately some of them weren't good instructors they spent more time boasting on what they have done..... than what they could do to teach it...... without that transference of knowledge taking place....... the learning curve stays pretty flat.
Rob

I agree that the instructor is the most critical part of the mix.

FWIW, my progression is set forth below. Note that I've also had the pleasure to learn deco the old fashioned way. I was taught by experienced deco divers who weren't all that interested in chasing cards.

OW
AOW
Buoyancy
Nitrox
Rescue
DIR-F
Adv. Nitrox (TDI, scheduled for this summer)
Deco Procedures (TDI, scheduled for this summer).

GUE offers adequate courses with outstanding skills development. However, you should verify that the shops where you will be getting you fills will actually accept the card.

That's why I'm not taking Tri-Ox.

DIR TEC DIVER , you are too much... DO they give you a monthly commision check or something???

TDI, IANTD and others put together a good program. But, as most everyone said, the Instructor shoudl be the most important aspect. Choose the Instructor first, then the agency....

OW
AOW
Nitrox

A lot of diving

Go tech

I am leaning towards taking a tech course in the near future. I was thinking about this last year but chose to go DM, in order to get more diving experience. At this point I feel that I am less concerened about my basic diving skills, buoyancy and depth. I think I am a better diver today and its about time to try learning some new skills, such as deco diving.

Ari :)

Of course I would say that. However, some of the othe advice is not bad either.

Choose the instructor carefully. I have not heard bad things about GUE instructors, but they are human as well. If you can do a class with Andrew Georgitsis, he will really teach you something, I promise. He travels all over, so you may well be able to do this.

Let me give you an example of how thorough the instruction is.

We were doing a dive and were practicing a situation where a diver has lost his mask. (we didn't know that was what we were going to practice, btw, it was sprung on us). Anyway, I was the diver in question, and I was flailing around a bit. One of my buddies, realized my problem, and grabbed my arm to lead me along the line to get back. However, he was being nice. Time was ticking, and we weren't making much progress. Then Andrew showed us how it's done. He grabbed my arm, nearly dislocationg my shoulder (slight exaggeration) and shoved me in the direction of the "exit" (we were just following a line in open water). I was moving even when I wasn't kicking. There was no doubt as to the direction of travel, nor as to who was in charge.

The lesson, in this case, was that when you take charge of a diver who is somehow debilitated, you don't do it with kids gloves. You take charge in a serious manner and should be forceful enough about it so that there is no question. If you want to have a discussion, as Andrew would say, you can do so that evening over Pizza, when everyone is alive.

I have a couple other items I should mention about progression to deco..

Yes, lots of diving is mandatory. All your basic skills should be 100%. Gas sharing, hovering at any depth, getting to your valves, etc. etc. In a GUE - F class you will find out what you need to work on, and you can practice those skills for the Tech 1 class.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into any kind of Deep Air, Extended Range, or any other nonsense where they have you breathe air at depth to "see how you handle it". You wouldn't take driving instruction from someone who said "You'll eventually have a drink and drive, so let's get plastered and take this baby on the highway, I want to see how you handle it."

Air is good for you car's tires, and that's about it.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Air is good for you car's tires, and that's about it.
hmmm. Where have I heard that one before?

While I agree with your advice warning against deep air, your final statement is a bit extremist, raises my b.s. detector and makes me wonder about the validity of the rest of your statements.

Charlie

Charlie99 once bubbled...
hmmm. Where have I heard that one before?

While I agree with your advice warning against deep air, your final statement is a bit extremist, raises my b.s. detector and makes me wonder about the validity of the rest of your statements.

Charlie

Charlie, I may repeat something I hear if it makes sense to me. However, I do believe I came up with the car tire thing. I have used it a few times before, so you may have heard it on other forums.

Air is a terrible gas for diving. I typically have helium in all my tanks, no matter what. If I know my dive won't exceed 50 ft, I might opt for nitrox, but usually my tanks are already full. If I'm getting an air fill, it's usually hyperclean air which I use when I service Scuba gear...or sometimes to inflate stuff. It's been so long since I've dived air, I don't remember what year it was, but I know it wasn't this century.

As for your dismissal of everything I say because I happen to think that air has no place in diving...well, your statement sounds pretty extreme to me. Do you always make snap judgments like that?

Air has only disadvantages over other gasses. No advantages. It is harder to deco from and it is more narcotic. At least that is the conclusion I have come to. All the info is out there, anyone is free to look it up.

Must be nice! I have my own fill station and still can't afford to use helium on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom