Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with litehedded.

When the crap hits the fan, diddydallying is NOT what you want to do.

Then why not just sling another 80? Or a 120? Or whatever kind of tank you use for a primary. It would have more use.

Sometimes less is more. There is no reason to use a 40 for recreational diving. I think we all know those guys who only relate to "size matters" are trying to make up for other shortcomings.
You must be diving from a boat. Why not sling another 80? Weight, awkwardness walking, etc. Doubles work better, but for my diving double 80s is way overkill. I use doubles in the 40-50 cf area.

SeaRat

Then why not just sling another 80? Or a 120? Or whatever kind of tank you use for a primary. It would have more use.

Sometimes less is more. There is no reason to use a 40 for recreational diving. I think we all know those guys who only relate to "size matters" are trying to make up for other shortcomings.

Why so angry kwinter? Great suggestion about the 80. I might try that next time out. Im a huge fan of air. You might even say Im addicted to it.

If you had the gas, were on a 7ft long hose what would the issue be? I wouldn't care...and I wouldn't be stressed. All min deco is is just a slow 10ft (3m)/min ascent rate from half the max depth on a rec dive.
the issue would be there's no reason to start dicking around at half your depth for no reason. if you have real decompression concerns, maybe talk to me about a slow ascent from 20' when we're safely at a depth I can swim up from.

I know what minimum deco is...

Sorry guys, I wouldn't deter from my failure response/risk mitigation plan -we're talking rec dives here.

I'm assuming you calculated min gas based on a min deco ascent and thus have the gas and made the plan- I'd stick to it unless some other unforseen or pressing environment issue presented itself. To me, this is actually less stressful as you dive the plan and everyone is on the same page.

If the plan was just to shoot to 20' (and then mend) ....then why go through all the hassle of min gas calculation? If you think a 10ft/min ascent is not necessary then why plan for it?

Flame away if you like ..

Its not worth doing extra (unneeded) ascent time and cutting it close with your gas. What's the point?

Its not worth doing extra (unneeded) ascent time and cutting it close with your gas. What's the point?

Unless the catastrophic failure happened at the worst possible time (possible but not likely) you won't be any where close to cutting it close...unless the SAC rate assumptions are incorrect.

The main point is a catastrophic gas failure can occur and you can ascend "normally" without any issues...I practice this all the time with my team (we're all on the same page). This is one of my favorite aspects of the system (GUE /DIR whatever you want to call it)

There' a difference between "practice" and real life when there is a real potential to get hurt.

You're talkin' about theory. I'm talking about application.

There' a difference between "practice" and real life when there is a real potential to get hurt.

You're talkin' about theory. I'm talking about application.

Well I like to say I train like I dive and dive like I train :)

Seriously though, this s**t works well. One of our team had a catastrophic gas failure at 200' (tainted gas), response was to donate and ascend following all ascent rates to the next gas switch...no issues and no extra stress. This is such a strength of the system IMO.

Thats another situation where doing "deep stops" before the switch is dumb. Get on the next gas so that diver isn't tethered to you and can be an independent scuba diver again.

I've taken a few GUE classes. I know the system.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom