Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the plan was just to shoot to 20' (and then mend) ....then why go through all the hassle of min gas calculation? If you think a 10ft/min ascent is not necessary then why plan for it?

By George I think you're getting it. For a rec dive it's not, so we don't.
What empirical evidence do you have that shows moving up to safety stop depth during a rec dive is incorrect or that your system is in any way safer?

Part of being a thinking diver is knowing when to hold and when to fold. Doing things by rote, because that's what the book says, means one has gotten very good at doing 1/2 of the equation. The other half is knowing when to close the book and use common sense.

Last edited:
Thats another situation where doing "deep stops" before the switch is dumb. Get on the next gas so that diver isn't tethered to you and can be an independent scuba diver again.

I've taken a few GUE classes. I know the system.

I thought we went through this already. The GUE diver is COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on his buddy for survival. All those clowns that use pony bottles (in an attempt to derive some degree of independence) are completely wrong!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Apples to apples. You're not comparing them. Dude was discussing a 200ft deco dive. Your solution is a pony bottle for a dive like that?

Please. Get it together.

Apples to apples. You're not comparing them. Dude was discussing a 200ft deco dive. Your solution is a pony bottle for a dive like that?

Please. Get it together.

I was just poking fun ..I actually agree with you. In an emergency, get moving toward the surface ASAP and for a no-deco dive, I would not really stop until 40 feet or so where I am confident that reaching the surface would not be an issue, should another failure occur.

But seriously, the issue of dependence versus independence is the important issue when discussing pony bottles. As for a 200 ft deco dive (on air).. for me, I would take a single tank, a 13 cu-ft pony and probably a slung 19 or 30 of 80% or oxygen. But that would be a solo dive, no real contingencies for helping a buddy. I don't even have double tanks.

......But seriously, ......As for a 200 ft deco dive (on air).. for me, I would take a single tank, a 13 cu-ft pony and probably a slung 19 or 30 of 80% or oxygen. But that would be a solo dive.......

OMG....this has got to be a toll.

OMG....this has got to be a toll.

Yeah sure it is.. Shall I post a video that is only marginally related to this thread (like you did)?

Yeah sure it is.. Shall I post a video that is only marginally related to this thread (like you did)?

Love to see it, really would, though I would suggest just starting a new thread titled "how not to dive to 200'".

And I posted no videos or pictures to this thread.

sorry I got confused........

Like I stated to correct your confusion, I posted no videos. Cant help it if I am in them, but I must say my one buddy did a superb job of taking 60 min of solid diving video and editing it down to 7 min. Still think we should have beached the scooters, being we were only 500 yards from shore and still had plenty of gas and 70% life in our scooter batteries.

So were is this video of your technique of diving to 200'?

Like I stated to correct your confusion, I posted no videos. Cant help it if I am in them, but I must say my one buddy did a superb job of taking 60 min of solid diving video and editing it down to 7 min. Still think we should have beached the scooters, being we were only 500 yards from shore and still had plenty of gas and 70% life in our scooter batteries.

So were is this video of your technique of diving to 200'?

Well to be honest, I don't have any video of diving in 200 ft which shows my gear configuration. My answer was in reference as to how I WOULD do a 200 ft dive.

I do have one from a few years ago, where I was hand holding my Go-Pro and setting it down here and there, while spearfishing (mostly without a buddy) in 185 ft. It is kinda hard to film yourself, but some of the scenes show my configuration.

I have the 13 cu-ft pony back mounted and a 19 cu-ft stage (filled with 80%) clipped off on my Scuba Pro BC (pretty much exactly the configuration, I said that I would use in 200).

Probably not the best rig, but I borrowed the stage bottle and had just purchased the used BC off scubaboard and needed to try it out. Hard to believe I could survive with an Air 2 and air in my tank and air in my pony. The end of the video shows my 12 yr old son, snorkel down and check on us, while we do a drifting deco. We have an extra 80 tank of 80% on the boat if it is needed and he is prepared to bring it to us.

I'm really not sure why you would say my previous post was a troll?

[video=youtube_share;1g4Cf-7-rHQ]http://youtu.be/1g4Cf-7-rHQ[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom