Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you need to call DAN or other insurances before to go into an hospital for hyp treatment;
Where did you get that idea? It's not what they publicize. I'd want the DAN doctors advised and consulting with local doctors, but in an emergency - get help ASAP.

@Efka76

Any reason to subscribe DAN and DiveAssure or Aquamed ?
Aquamed is PRIMARY insurance ?

I just made a quote annual cover + at least 120 days of travel
- DAN Sport Gold: 210 €

- DiveAssure DiveSafe: 69 € / Dive&Travel: 169 € / 239 €
or
- Aquamed Dive&Travel : 78 €

- DAN Sport Gold + DiveAssure Dive&Travel = 379 / 12 = 32 € monthly
- DAN Sport Gold + Aquamed Dive&Travel = 288 / 12 = 24 € monthly

In term of annual insurrance cost this is nearly nothing. This is not even the cost of a rec dive...

When I was student and started to dive 5 years ago my instructor suggested me to think about saving money into a blocked bank account in case of emergency or any other specific need. I think now it's a great advice- was maybe stupid at that time cause I was young and told myself why the hell would I save up around 200 € monthly for something I must only use for emergency ... but I'm happy that he suggested me that.

Why do you need 2 insurance policies. 1 Policy (DiveAssure / DAN / Aquamed) is sufficient. When i looked at DAN Europe for me DAN Sport Silver was looking really ok. Regarding Aquamed - read their insurance policies and various reviews. From first sight everything might be very nice but people might have bad experience with insurance company. Insurance company reputation is also very important.

My wife experienced an immersion pulmonary edema last year in Coz. Expenses were 100% covered by DAN.

I figure that pretty much pays me back for the 8 years of premiums....with great interest.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what risks they are willing to take. Make sure you choose wisely.

Where did you get that idea? It's not what they publicize. I'd want the DAN doctors advised and consulting with local doctors, but in an emergency - get help ASAP.

I have not got any emergency or encounter one yet.
But this is what I was told by divers.
Call within a short time both Marine Rescue - EMS and DAN
DAN will directly deal with EMS to send victim to appropriate hospital and deal with hyperbar doctors etc etc

Now if it's not vital emergency (if you are not litterally dying cardiac arrest or other things) call DAN to know what to do and not EMS (like if you have a pain/bend few hours later).

WoW I really hope I was not told wrong infos
Currently reading this article : Alert Diver | Who to Call First: DAN or EMS?

Why do you need 2 insurance policies. 1 Policy (DiveAssure / DAN / Aquamed) is sufficient. [...]Insurance company reputation is also very important.

It's too late in my country to call my work insurance and health care but except DAN insurance I have no clue if my work insurance would cover scuba diving / extrem sport.

+1 to having Dive Insurance. My wife and I have the Family Plan with DAN and have never had to use it. This past January we were diving with a friend south of Kona who used his DAN insurance. After a dive but still on the rocky shore area he fell in the water and onto the boulders in the water sustaining cracked vertebrae and a gash in his head.

DAN was very beneficial throughout his ordeal.

My wife experienced an immersion pulmonary edema last year in Coz. Expenses were 100% covered by DAN.

I figure that pretty much pays me back for the 8 years of premiums....with great interest.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what risks they are willing to take. Make sure you choose wisely.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of treatment? If you'd rather not say, no worries.

I know Dive Assure is a younger insurance product than DAN but I’m uncomfortable relying on a product with no user reviews/experiences (that I am aware of). Every time we hear about someone successfully claiming dive insurance, it’s always with repect to DAN.

I know Dive Assure is a younger insurance product than DAN but I’m uncomfortable relying on a product with no user reviews/experiences (that I am aware of). Every time we hear about someone successfully claiming dive insurance, it’s always with repect to DAN.

Even on various Here / Other forums / FB Group / Reddit / Dive Instructors I have the feeling that only DAN are recommanded and truely competent and do successfuly deal right. Other insurances/comments I don't know if you can trust 100% cause in anycase you can not request paper proofs if the story is true or not.

And I would trust more a reputable dive instructor/dive shop who might have some previous experiences with diving insurance than a 'regular' online nickname.

Even on various Here / Other forums / FB Group / Reddit / Dive Instructors I have the feeling that only DAN are recommanded and truely competent and do successfuly deal right. Other insurances/comments I don't know if you can trust 100% cause in anycase you can not request paper proofs if the story is true or not.

And I would trust more a reputable dive instructor/dive shop who might have some previous experiences with diving insurance than a 'regular' online nickname.

That is why I have not purchased Dive Assure yet, although I’m often tempted because Dive Assure coverage looks really good on paper, including LOB coverage. I have requested a copy of the policy documents, but something didn't sit right with me about it. If I read successful claim stories on here or Undercurrent.org, I’d feel more comfortable with it.

Update: I now recall one of the reasons I felt uncomfortable about the Dive Assure policy. The insurer is a European company, GBG Insurance Ltd., based in Guernsey. The policy states that:

"The proper Law and Jurisdiction governing this insurance shall be the administered in the Courts of the European Union and its Courts."

So, if there was ever a dispute with the company that needed to be resolved in Court, it would need to be resolved in Europe.

Last edited:
Honestly I was not even a diver that I got (fast) reply from DAN support by email.
And this is the first sign if a company is reliable or not. How fast and How serious they reply to you ?

Now I don't get what is a Primary insurance exactly- is it the Universal Health Care System ?

Back
Top Bottom