Counterfeit Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I am new to diving I haven't experienced this first hand but I do know of a couple times this has passed through the LDS. Once was with a dive computer, it had no serial number and was figured as a knock off. The second time was a BC. The LDS called the manufacturer for parts and they then told him that is was a knock off and that the owner had no warranty. By the way one was purchased from E-bay and the other... you guessed it, Leisure Pro.

No the BC was not one that was mentioned above.

crpntr133:
Since I am new to diving I haven't experienced this first hand but I do know of a couple times this has passed through the LDS. Once was with a dive computer, it had no serial number and was figured as a knock off. The second time was a BC. The LDS called the manufacturer for parts and they then told him that is was a knock off and that the owner had no warranty. By the way one was purchased from E-bay and the other... you guessed it, Leisure Pro.

No the BC was not one that was mentioned above.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the kind of anecdotal examples I want to avoid. There have been a number of past posts, usually in regards to LP, that concern counterfeit gear, but never a specific verifiable example. I would think that ScubaPro and Aqualung, just as two of the bigger manufacturers, would love to be able to send the authorities to LP for a search and seizure as they both claim to abhor LP and their discount "gray market" ways. Since it hasn't happened, I would have to believe it is because they (LP) aren't selling counterfeit gear. No need to-they seem to be able to get a good supply of legitimate products. Based on what I saw on 60 Minutes, eventually some counterfeit gear is going to find it's way here but if no one is actually manufacturing complicated gear like regulators in China than it's going to take some doing.

My wife has used a cheap Taiwanese reg, cost less than US$100.00. It's been in regular use for about 3 years, serviced once, coming up to next service now.
It's performance is better than many US$300.00+ regs I've tried.
You could choose the brand name you wanted to put on it.
The LDS that sold it to me assured me that the same internals are used in other top end regs. The manufacturer is an OEM for some leading brands. He just puts a cheaper housing around them so he can't be charged royalties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom