Artificial intelligence in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Artificial intelligence (AI) has been making waves in various industries, changing the way people work and interact with technology. With the technology advancing, you may see the usage of underwater robotics and artificial intelligence in the scuba diving. Such as, using underwater vehicles for exploration, data collection, and carrying out some specific tasks. And Artificial intelligence is also playing an important role in analyzing the vast amounts of data collected during underwater. For divers, the AI could provide real-time guidance and enhance safety. This system may detect potential health issues or emergencies underwater and alert the divers for immediate action.

How about your thoughts on artificial intelligence in scuba diving? Do you see it as a positive development or have other concerns about its implementation? Welcome to share your views below.

Just my 2 cents and wild azz guess prediction.........

I think we'll see the return of a "Data Mask' HUD or flip down screen AGAIN.

In today's world topside, so many people have their heads buried in their phone for 2/3rds of the day. That's going to extend underwater as components and screens get better and tiny-errr.

5 years ago people never dreamed of taking their $1000 expensive phone underwater. Now it's common on every charter boat.

At least in my case, one of the things that I would love to see is an Inertial Navigation System suitable for divers at a reasonable price and with the required functionalities. Perhaps a Personal Dive Computer with the INS functionality embebed.
I do not know if for this AI is required, I guess that AI has something to add to PDCs.

So from a scientific background, I welcome it.

It doesn't take long to learn to drive an ROV, but it does take some time. Different scanners have different degrees of complexity in post processing. I see this as a boon for underwater/marine/maritime scientists/archaeologists who can could (for example) quickly monitor the 3D point cloud generated from the scanner at what is much faster than what can be done by people. Once past the pilot phase of this technology being adopted, then a scientist may not even need to be out in the field. A couple technicians would be all that is needed.

When divable, divers still may be needed to prepare a site for scanning, removing debris, etc. to expose more of the site. In some cases, like the Mentor shipwreck outside Avelmonas Kythera, Greece, there is a protective fabric that needs to be removed prior/restored after laser scanning.

In 5 years or so, I hope my organization partners with a Ukrainian university to laser scan the Moskva.

I don't think IMU's (inertial measurement units). will be manufactured at a size small enough to be used by recreational divers for navigation underwater.

Maybe @mariosx has some thoughts.

Why is this being discussed in the XTAR forum?

We already have AI in diving, dive computers.
Other than that I do not want any more AI in my personal diving. I dive to do something manually, I enjoy the physicality of it. I don’t want more stuff done for me.

AI will make its first entry in replacing human writers of scuba articles and ad copy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom