Couldn't complete OWD, distraught & lost all confidence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the one hand, yes, you had a pretty crappy dive instructor. No question. Hands down. Guy sounds like a d*ouche, and if I was in your situation, I'd probably have given him a 1 star review about his dive shop and explained what happened in great detail there too, so everybody knows about it.

However, I also wouldn't be in your situation in the first place, because I'm not the kind of person who lets myself lose control of my emotions. In fact, I'm pretty logical and relaxed and I don't get too emotional to begin with.

The thing is this: There is ALWAYS going to be stresseful situations when diving. Even if your instructor is super nice and sweet, at the end of the day, you need to be relaxed, you need to control your breathing, you need to feel and be calm, and just trust yourself. Trust the SCIENCE behind how everything works. Once you understand the science, and understand your body can do it, and you have seen yourself do it in the pool, then you should be able to do it in the ocean. When I did my first open water dives, my instructors were pretty cool, but they didnt give me any special attention. I wasnt important to them- and thats OKAY. It was chaotic on the boat for me too- it's always chaotic on a dive boat, you have 20 people trying to get their gear and stuff together, and everyone doing it at different paces.

When you want to be a good diver, you need to learn a few things.

1) You need to be accountable to yourself, and be a safe, smart, logical and calm diver.

2) You can't allow other people to impact your emotions or your thinking or your actions.

3) Practice makes perfect. The more you practice, the better you will be.

4) Stop panicking. If a problem occurs, think and use the brain God gave you. Panicking doesn't accomplish jack sh*t except get you killed. Even if you feel the urge to panic, you shouldn't do it. Panic never leads to good results.

========================

I would be the kind of guy to give the annoying instructor the finger, after I did my perfectly done skill. Then I'd grab my nuts and give him a "you like that?!" type of look. Then he'd get pissed, I wouldn't care, and we'd go onto the next skill and I'd beast that one too. Aint nobody stopping me from passing, baby

@The Chairman I honestly thought we would spend at least half a day in the pool. But we just went through all the skills once and that was it.
Here at facility I teach out of our most popular schedule is a 3 day weekend, total pool time works out to 8 hours, and 7 hours classroom academics. Student expected to complete text book knowledge reviews or online requirements before start of class.This is a PADI program.

I was hyperventilating reading that. I've had my own issues with stress in the water and I'm still working on it. But, this is something that can make you dead if you do it wrong. I'd not stick with an instructor or a dive shop that stressed me out as bad as this one seemed to do to you. Find a local dive club (if there is one) and see what the divers recommend in terms of instructors. Diving is supposed to be peaceful and life is way to short to put up with that kind of garbage. Good Luck to you.

I would be the kind of guy to give the annoying instructor the finger, after I did my perfectly done skill. Then I'd grab my nuts and give him a "you like that?!" type of look. Then he'd get pissed, I wouldn't care, and we'd go onto the next skill and I'd beast that one too. Aint nobody stopping me from passing, baby

Ummm... this is a weird scenario, sounds very confrontational.

Also I think the instructor can probably fail someone just on the grounds of bad attitude as it can be dangerous for a buddy pair.

I dont think that this was quality instruction, but I have seen people signal that they are ok to move on when they aren't comfortable. Personally I am not afraid to ensure that whatever I am learning is practiced to the point that I am comfortable with before moving on. So as a student, always speak up when you aren't ready, or are uncomfortable, or if anything is an issue. Speak up immediately.

I dont think that this was quality instruction, but I have seen people signal that they are ok to move on when they aren't comfortable. Personally I am not afraid to ensure that whatever I am learning is practiced to the point that I am comfortable with before moving on. So as a student, always speak up when you aren't ready, or are uncomfortable, or if anything is an issue. Speak up immediately.

As an instructor, I would say "thank you!" It really is best when a student is honest and forthcoming with their instructor, although some instructors can make that difficult by displaying an intimidating personality or stressing over a tight schedule. The simple fact is that if scuba class isn't fun and rewarding, new OW divers don't continue to dive. Instructors should measure their success not by how many students they certify, but by how many of their students are still actively diving a year or two later.

As an instructor, I would say "thank you!" It really is best when a student is honest and forthcoming with their instructor, although some instructors can make that difficult by displaying an intimidating personality or stressing over a tight schedule. The simple fact is that if scuba class isn't fun and rewarding, new OW divers don't continue to dive. Instructors should measure their success not by how many students they certify, but by how many of their students are still actively diving a year or two later.
It's sad to see students short change themselves by not vocalizing their needs. I may come off as a pain in the ass when I train, but I'm confident in the skills I learned when I complete a training session. I understand that not everyone is as shall we say outspoken (others may interpret as boisterous and obnoxious) and may have a harder time speaking out about their needs. But I implore you, if you aren't comfortable then speak up because your life may count on it.

Reactions: yle
Doesn't quite jibe with the earlier paragraph about being logical and relaxed and not getting too emotional, does it?

I don't suppose the OP's gender had anything to do with his assessment that her seeking input from people who are knowledgeable on the subject constitutes losing control of her emotions. If she'd handled the situation with obscene gestures, could she then be considered calm and logical? Or is that impossible unless she has some actual nuts to grab?

Back
Top Bottom