Couldn't complete OWD, distraught & lost all confidence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bee123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and very new to scuba diving. I fell in love with it after an introductory dive on the great barrier reef. Our instructor was wonderful, the whole experience was so awesome that it left me wanting more and actually becoming certified. I apologise in advance about the lengthy post and appreciate any advice/input.

My initial intro dive went very well, so I looked at local diving schools and found one which offered the OWD course at a good price. After I made my booking, things pretty much went pear shaped. I received no confirmation email and had to chase them for over 5 days (phone and email) to get a written confirmation of dates etc. In the original booking, it said I needed to get a medical certificate, which I went ahead and did, cost me $200. Later I was told it was not required. Then they sent me a link to the SSI online learning materials. I started it but wasn't sure if I was working through the correct module/course. I sent them a screenshot, was told it's the wrong one, they hadn't actually enabled the OWD course in my profile. Once they did that, I worked through it, studied everything and passed without any problems.

On my 1st day at the shop, we did the final exam, quickly went through how the assemble the gear, I was given a wetsuit which was about 3 sizes too large (since they didn't have any in my size left) and it was off to the pool. We went through many skills in the pool rather quickly, after about an hour, we were done. I didn't have any issues with the skills. The mask removal skill was a bit uncomfortable but I did it. Also, it took a while for my breathing to calm down but I thought it was just the excitement of finally doing the course. After we ran through the skills, we were told to do the 200m swim, and we skipped the 10min treading water exercise. I expected the pool session to last longer but we were done for the day. I was a bit disappointed but felt fairly confident in my skills and applying them in open water.

Day 2 and we were told we would be with a different instructor. I was already disappointed since I really clicked with our first instructor, he was very calm and reassuring and this new guy was loud, went through everything too quickly, I felt very rushed and started to feel stressed. We took the boat out, there were lots of other people on the boat, snorkelers, discover scuba divers, certified divers, refreshers and us open water students. The whole atmosphere was very chaotic and rushed. Us students were the last group to get in the water. Once we started doing the skills, it went okay but the instructor made me feel like I was doing everything incorrectly. For e.g. full mask clearing, I couldn't fully clear it on the first go, so I did it in two tries, but he kept pushing and making me feel like I couldn't do it in first place. Or weight belt removal under water, I took it off, put it back on, fiddled with it a little to try and get it secure, but he swam up to me and kept signalling that I was doing it incorrectly. I didn't know what I had done wrong! Free flow regulator breathing, I took it halfway out of my mouth, pressed the purge button and was breathing fine, he swam up to me and kept getting me to tilt my head more to the side. My stress level was already building. Finally we were supposed to do the no mask swim, as soon as I took my mask off, I felt like I couldn't get a deep breath in and out, the exhalation bubbles kept hitting my nose and I felt the need to burp, I started to hyperventilate. I signalled to him "problem" and "go up", but he kept holding me down. I signalled again "problem" "go up" but he kept holding me. Finally I just swam up, and he followed. I told him that I felt like I could not breathe, and he said "ok, we will do it tomorrow". We went back to the boat and I was extremely stressed and anxious about whether I could do the skill on day 3.

I did not sleep at all that night, kept going over it in my head, couldn't eat a proper breakfast that morning. When I went back to the shop on day 3, I was told 6 other students would join us for the final dives as they hadn't completed the course from the previous week. I was assigned a new buddy, and again, the boat was full and a very chaotic atmosphere. Once we were in the water, the instructor yelled at me from the boat that my mask wasn't sitting correctly, even though it is my mask that I have worn and used before and it felt fine. While I was waiting for the others to jump in, I removed my mask and tried the no mask breathing again. But I couldn't do it. It felt like my chest just tightened, I couldn't breathe in and out. I began to cry, stressing that I would not be able to complete the course. My original buddy saw my distress and swam up to me, I told her that I felt like I could not do this. When it was time to descend and I saw the instructor keeling at the bottom and waiting for us, I felt a tightening in my chest and ascended. I became very emotional and once he surfaced, told him this wasn't working for me. I went back to the boat and actually started crying because I felt to disappointed and angry with myself. The instructor told me I could come back another day to finish, but I feel like I have lost my confidence in all the skills and in the instructor/dive shop. They said they would give me a call to re-schedule, but it's been 2 days now and nobody has called me.

Before I left the shop, the instructor told me that he could see I was upset on the morning of the dive. But he didn't address anything with me. When I tried to talk to him, he was busy preparing the gear, other students, customers etc. I felt very uncomfortable to approach him and voice any concerns. Also, on day 2, I told him that I still was trying to learn how to equalize, hoping we could make slower descents so I could get the hang of it, but he just brushed it off and said many people have issues equalizing. On day 3, when checking the equipment, I told him that I felt like I cannot get enough air from my reg, he said it is normal, he didn't even bother to check it himself (they kept giving us different gear every day, i.e. whatever was available in our sizes).

I feel very down after this experience and don't know what to do now. I don't feel confident going back to this shop. They still have my medical certificate, which I plan on getting back if I don't complete my final 2 dives with them. I am so upset because I was so excited and I really enjoyed scuba diving, but now I don't know what to do. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. After this ordeal, I went to my local pool with mask & snorkel, and after a bit of getting use to, I was totally fine with the mask removal, and even no mask swim.

There’s no crying in diving:)

Simple solution! Get a one on one instructor....one you feel comfortable with and one you’ve had the chance to interview....and share your first experience....I’ve seen this way too many times with Flight students! It’s all about the instructors personality.

You’ll be fine! Find a competent instructor! So many out there.

bee123,

I'm sorry you had a stressful situation, but you aren't the only one - by far. Breathing underwater is unnatural, and breathing without a mask on is one of the most unnatural and stress-inducing skills for new divers. It was for me. Given time, practice, and proper guidance you can overcome it and enjoy many years of fun diving. It sounds like your instructor was having an off day, too. Hopefully he is willing to transfer your completed skills to another instructor for you to try with someone with more patience. I always tell my students they should just relax - diving is a pleasant, relaxing pastime not a race - take all the time you need, and I'll be right here watching.

Regards,
George

Only an hour in the pool? That's a huge problem right there.

Find another, more patient, instructor.

It is extremely difficult to be instantly comfortable in the water with scuba gear and asked to perform skills you haven't practiced. I would not have signed up for such a short course. That said, the other students seemed to be progressing so perhaps some of the problems may lie with you.
I would ask for a referral to begin at a later date, and in the meantime get in the water with a mask and snorkel and practice mask clearing and any skill you can without dive gear.
It seems crazy to ask students to make boat dives after only one hour in the pool. Hopefully you can get a referral with another shop.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, I feel much better already. In the meantime, I did a bit of research on this dive shop, they were originally a PADI shop but now switched to SSI. After a bit of digging around online, I discovered that the owner was expelled by PADI, which explains why they now run SSI courses. Do you think I should stick with them, or go somewhere else? Is this alarming enough to warrant trying another shop? I really want to become a safe and confident diver, and felt like I wasn't getting that with this instructor.

@The Chairman I honestly thought we would spend at least half a day in the pool. But we just went through all the skills once and that was it.

Go elsewhere! Maybe find a local dive club and meetup during a meeting/ Dive and chat.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, I feel much better already. In the meantime, I did a bit of research on this dive shop, they were originally a PADI shop but now switched to SSI. After a bit of digging around online, I discovered that the owner was expelled by PADI, which explains why they now run SSI courses. Do you think I should stick with them, or go somewhere else? Is this alarming enough to warrant trying another shop? I really want to become a safe and confident diver, and felt like I wasn't getting that with this instructor.

I’m honestly not sure why you are even asking this question. You absolutely find another dive shop. This sounds like a terrible experience.

@MaxBottomtime Thanks so much for your input. One of the other students from my course who managed to complete it said he did not feel confident at all. He had a great barrier reef dive booked but said he would just go snorkel. So while I obviously need more practice and guidance, I think the general speed of the course was too fast/too much for such a short time frame.

Back
Top Bottom