Could you have done this at 30 dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was amazed to see this video posted this morning: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=386269698122597

No way could I have done that at 30 dives. Somebody's done a good job with these students!

The class is 6 hours/week of class and 6 hours/week of pool, apparently for an entire semester, so they should be getting a lot of practice.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2012 at 06:44 PM ----------

Yes, indeed. But constant fin motion is the great equalizer...

Question: Now at several hundred dives, I still can't hover truly motionless except for breathing, in trim, same depth as video, for 5 min. Not meant as a hijack, but is this an unreasonable goal? -or am I really that bad...

Yes, it's an unreasonable goal even if you have absolutely perfect static and dynamic trim and stability and you stop breathing (not recommended).

Even pools have currents and if you want to remain in the same place in the same position you have to move something, unless you can teleport using only the power of your mind. :cool:

Open water has all sorts of inconvenient up and down and side currents that will change your depth and rotate you if you do nothing.

flots.

If Steve can do that, I want to see video proof! ...//...

I got the claim in print!!! He's messing with his audience, I just know it. PONY UP STEVE!!!

---------- Post added December 5th, 2012 at 07:31 PM ----------

Some one started them correctly from the beginning..... All bp/w's......

-that's what I dive, -still isn't happening for me...

@j2s - a quote from a facebook comment on the video

"The DSO at UM is Rick Gomez, who was at one time a support diver for the WKPP. I'd say the influences on their program are pretty obvious."

Thus the BP\W's and long hoses :)

Impressive. At 30 dives I was already Intro Cave certified.

I think so and I was making real dives. I'm not sure what were doing for those 30 or so dives leading to this exam.

Oh and how about full cold water exposure protection in surge?

Impressive but not extraordinary.

Pete

Last edited:
What I really like about the video is the pool..........I want that pool!

There are a few classes I will have students break out slates a write their mailing address or the like while hovering. Fun exercise.

Same here, I was diggin' that sweet pool. :)

Ah GUE rec 1, type program even if the cards came from elsewhere

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom