Could it be DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On Sat. I did two dives to 90 on Ean32.

Dive #1 9:13am
Max Depth 84
AVG Depth 54
BT 31
Dive #2 11:08am
Max Depth 90
AVG Depth 53
BT 31

Had a SI of 1hr 23min.
Did a staged assent on both dives 50' 1min, 40'1min, 30' 1min; 20' 1min 10' 1min.

Went out that night and drank 11 or 12 beers with the guys. All day I though I just had a hangover. I've had mild head ache, pain between the bone in my feet and hands. Mild pain/numbness/tingling in my lower back (Thought this was associated with arching my back diving or carrying the gear and tanks.) I've been sweating and cant sleep thinking I might have a mild case of DCS. I was thinking no way from my dive profile but maybe the alcohol after. You think DCS?

Sounds like you should be on the phone with DAN. I think it's your boozing and all, but you should talk with a professional. It's a free call and consultation even if you haven't joined yet. Phone number in link below or at top of forum here...

That looks like a pretty tame profile from a DCS standpoint. I'd be more worried about your liver

Hi serrada,

wedivebc makes a good point.

Given that nitrogen level was at ambient expectation when the reported dives on EAN32 took place, it seems rather unlikely that a nitrogen loading sufficient to cause DCS could have accumulated. The max depth on each dive was slightly deep, but the average depths, total BTs and staged ascents suggest low-risk profiles.

There is no report of symptoms that day. The complaints appear to have onset the following day after a night that included drinking somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen beers. While the exact figures vary by study, about 50% of cases of DCS occur within 30 min, 85% within 1 hr and 95% within 3 hr. Only ~1% are delayed >6 hr.

Moreover, pain in bones in the feet and hands is not commonly seen in DCS, and even less so in the absence of pain in a major joint, e.g., shoulder, elbow, hip. DCS can manifest with mild pain/numbness/tingling in the lower back. However, with DCS this sensation would be expected to be more or less constant and not to appear only when arching the back diving or carrying gear and tanks.

The reported dive profiles are not extreme, but the dozen beers in an evening approaches that.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you very much for your responses. Much appreciated.

Hello serrada:

This seems like an innocuous dive but a long “surface interval” at the bar. Some divers have been known to unwittingly mask their problems with beverage alcohol.

It is a poor anesthetic, but it does leave you with a “what-the-hay attitude.” This then can develop into CNS DCS that is difficult to treat with such a long surface duration – and a lot of denial.

In addition – that’s a lot of calories! :shakehead:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hello serrada:

This seems like an innocuous dive but a long “surface interval” at the bar. Some divers have been known to unwittingly mask their problems with beverage alcohol.

It is a poor anesthetic, but it does leave you with a “what-the-hay attitude.” This then can develop into CNS DCS that is difficult to treat with such a long surface duration – and a lot of denial.

In addition – that’s a lot of calories! :shakehead:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks,

It's not something I do regularly. This one particular case by better half was out of town and what better than a morning dive and a few games of pool when shes gone. I feel a lot better now. And I really do appreciate the support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom