Could be trouble for leisurepro and others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty:
So it was over the logo on the watch-So I would think the case could be made that if a regulator had the distinctive US-Divers logo on it somewhere it is now protected by this ruling.

What if the logo were removed?

Scubapro and Aqualung do not sell their equipment directly or indirectly to Leisurepro,

you really believe that Kool-aid that they've been serving you?

each manufacturer uses independent distributers to sell to authorized US reatailers; doing otherwise would violate sales agreement contracts between they and said authorized US reatailers. With that stated, Scubapro and Aqualung know full well from whom Leisurpro gets their equipment. Now, with the US court's decision in hand, let's see if Scubapro and Aqualung "decide" to put a halt to the US importation of their in-copywrite equipment.

If they wanted to really stop it, they could have done it years ago.

Yeah, they might "float" the product through a distributor, but in all reality, they could have cut that distributor off. They don't.

why? because they WANT that product to be sold there and moved and NEED it to be sold there and moved. In todays economy, they need it even worse.

you really believe that Kool-aid that they've been serving you?

If they wanted to really stop it, they could have done it years ago.

Yeah, they might "float" the product through a distributor, but in all reality, they could have cut that distributor off. They don't.

why? because they WANT that product to be sold there and moved and NEED it to be sold there and moved. In todays economy, they need it even worse.

Amen brother. You nailed this completely. All this sanctimonious nonsense about AL and SP is exactly that.

Aqualung and Scubapro do not sell to Leisurepro, period. I do agree that Aqualung and Scubapro do not stop non-US distributors or non-US retailers from selling to Leisurepro offshore.

I've wondered if a US retailer, as a third party, could sue Aqualung and Scubapro for allowing (de facto) offshore sales of their equipment, importation, and the reselling of it. Now it seems that action could be taken against Leisurepro for importation of in-copywrite equipment even though Leisurepro bought the equipment offshore.

Aqualung and Scubapro do not sell to Leisurepro, period. I do agree that Aqualung and Scubapro do not stop non-US distributors or non-US retailers from selling to Leisurepro offshore.

I've wondered if a US retailer, as a third party, could sue Aqualung and Scubapro for allowing (de facto) offshore sales of their equipment, importation, and the reselling of it. Now it seems that action could be taken against Leisurepro for importation of in-copywrite equipment even though Leisurepro bought the equipment offshore.

??? It is quite obvious to most that Aqualung and Scubapro sell to Leisurepro. The only question is the exact means by which contracts are entered and merchandise is delivered. And I am quite sure any of the three companies involve could provide a very thorough answer to that.

LP has stated before that they get that gear direct from distributors for those companies.

Even if they hadn't, it's not Rocket Science.

For example, Leisure Pro had the new ACD Legend regulators in stock and shipping them before LDS's had them. You don't get that stuff first hand before the dealers do by "buying from LDS's going out of business".

It's like pulling teeth around here. Aqualung and Scubapro do not sell to Leisurepro through American distributors. OK? Got it? See the issue yet? If I were an American retailer of Aqualung and Scubapro equipment, I would want to see an end to US importation of offshore purchased gray market Aqualung and Scubapro equipment. Now with this Supreme Court decision on copyright, I could see a third party US retailer (or several together in a class action) suing to stop that gray market. Let's see if Leisurepro stops offering Aqualung and Scubapro gray market equipment anytime soon; if so, well...

LP has stated before that they get that gear direct from distributors for those companies.

Even if they hadn't, it's not Rocket Science.

For example, Leisure Pro had the new ACD Legend regulators in stock and shipping them before LDS's had them. You don't get that stuff first hand before the dealers do by "buying from LDS's going out of business".

But but but but, they re-import it! :idk: Um yeah, those manufacturers ship their brand new stuff half way across the world and then LP re-imports it before the American LDS's can get it on the shelves. :confused: Yeah, that is how they do it. Don't you know anything? The successful manufacturers always ship to stores going out of business and stores in other countries way way before they ship to the healthy thriving authorized US dealers!:shakehead:

It's like pulling teeth around here. Aqualung and Scubapro do not sell to Leisurepro through American distributors. OK?

So you are really atimate about this... How exactly do you know the details about the dealings of Leasure Pro and where and how they get their products? It is easy to say the don't get their products through American distributors but I don't believe it. Doesn't matter to me where or how they get it. I like Leasure Pro's prices. Warranty is not an issue for me. They don't sell below MAP price on anything that I have ever checked on. So with the exception of internet sales they could be legitimate dealers.

So you are really atimate about this... How exactly do you know the details about the dealings of Leasure Pro and where and how they get their products? It is easy to say the don't get their products through American distributors but I don't believe it. Doesn't matter to me where or how they get it. I like Leasure Pro's prices. Warranty is not an issue for me. They don't sell below MAP price on anything that I have ever checked on. So with the exception of internet sales they could be legitimate dealers.

Actually Aqualung has added "internet sales" through a web portal they control that is in conjunction with authorized dealers. So after years of saying it wouldn't sell on the internet, they now do.

As for buying Aqualung from Leisure Pro? They're about the only dealer I'd buy it from. But I really never plan on buying another Aqualung product again, so it doesn't really matter.... (don't think I'm the only one).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom