Costa Rica -> Sharks -> Worries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rirarianneke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just 3 more weeks to go and my holiday in CR starts. Of course very exiting however I am also getting a bit worried. I read all these stories about bull sharks.
Honestly...should I be worried?

I can't believe anyone would go to that place. Maybe you should just mail me you tickets and tell me what time the flight is.

I promise I'll take my chain mail dive suit and bring you back some great pictures.

Actually you should not worry about sharks attacking you while you dive. In fact odds are that you would have more problems with land sharks than the bull sharks.

If the latest studies are worth anything Bull sharks have a tendency to bump before bitting. In clear water there is less of a chance of being mistaken for food. The murky waters and rivers are where most recorded bites occur and are generally considered accidental.

SO QUITE WORRYING!!! and start bragging. Just bring back some pictures.

Hallmac

Where in temperate to warm salt water can one go and not encounter sharks? Although I haven't dived Costa Rica, my housemate is a native and she expressed no concern.

I have seen sharks many places I've dived, and have not (yet) had an aggressive encounter with any species. In Tahiti there were about 100 of four different species circling around us as we entered the water. Quite exciting.

Unfortunately here on Catalina most of the blues we used to encounter in the early years were wiped out by long liners and gil netters. Yes, there still is the occasional white but those I know who have encountered encountered them underwater indicate they are more afraid of us.

Of course there have been recent reports of tiger sharks in the waters between Long Point and Avalon, especially the Hen Rock area. These sightings were by folks who have dived with tigers before. What the heck they are doing in our waters is a good question. Last time I encountered one (a 22 footer), I was kayaking several miles offshore in the Sea of Cortez. Almost gulp!!

Sharks generally don't bother divers while they are underwater. The only time I have any real concern is on surface swims back to the boat in green water. I don't have as much natural insulation as a seal or sea lion, but it's uncomfortably too close for comfort!

Dr. Bill

would come up and swim lazily about 15' below your fins after you backrolled. The solution was to not dally at the surface, just roll and drop to the bottom. They seemed to show no curiosity at all there...

One woman in our boat was freaked to the point of cancelling her dives because of them. The fact that she also backrolled on top of a brown sea snake didn't help her nerves either.

Go figure, you pay good money to see the critters and then stay in the boat when they show up...

Thanks these stories are defenitly helpful. Still it is difficult to believe that I am on a boat, see numerous sharks cirkeling around the boat, and than dive in.
However, it is even more difficult to think I would cancel my dive.
Keep your stories coming!

On one of my trips to the Galapagos, I remember the Aggressor liveaboard pulling up to Darwin Island and noticing fins slicing the water in all directions. I was a bit unnerving.

There has not been a reported attack on a recreational scuba diver by a bull shark off the Pacific coast of CR of which I am aware.

You might that the following puts you a bit more at ease. It's from my "Ask RSD" column of the Mar '00 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"While statistics are not fully reliable and vary substantially across time, over the years 1990 through 1997 an average of about 9 unprovoked attacks per year on divers were reported worldwide. Slightly less than 20% proved fatal. In other words, out of the millions of dives done worldwide in each of the last 8 years, on average less than 2 divers per year died as a result of unprovoked shark attack. Death by lightening or a vending machine falling on you is far more probable.

Furthermore, these attacks were much more likely to occur in some areas than others. The most numerous attacks on divers occur in the continental US, Australia and Africa (2/3rds in the Republic of South Africa), respectively. Within the US, Florida and California account equally for the majority; Hawaii has less than 1/4 the total of these two states. The Caribbean is low on the list.

Sharks, about which much remains unknown, are among the ocean's most fascinating and maligned creatures. Around for hundreds of millions years, they have changed little in the past tens of millions. The approximately 370 living species range in size from the 6" carnivorous juvenile Dwarf Sharks to the 45’+ plankton eating mature Whale Shark.

Sharks are fearsome predators due to marvelously acute sensory systems, including the ability to sense infinitesimally weak electrical fields, very low frequency sounds such those generated by escaping and struggling prey, and a sense of smell which can detect a single drop of blood in one million drops of water. While vision tends not to be nearly as well developed, some sharks have excellent sensitivity to contrast and motion, and low light acuity.

The majority of sharks pose no threat to man; only about 42 species have been implicated in attacks worldwide. Great Whites account for the majority, and these are often believed to be cases food confusion; humans are not at the top of the menu with high fat animals like seal and sea lion. Next in order are the Tiger and Bull, who some feel aggress just because the diver is in proximity.

Most shark attacks occur from below or behind and are unseen by the diver, although prior to an attack is it not uncommon for them to make increasingly closer passes, or even bump you. Sharks within the line of vision also may signal they are disturbed. This commonly takes the form of an S-shaped posture, with arching of the back, lowering of the pectoral fins, & movement of the tail to one side, and sometimes shaking of the head from side to side--you'll recognize it. If you observe this, return to the boat if possible; if not, slowly sink to the bottom or back up against a reef or wall, and remain motionless. If a shark approaches you very closely, purge your second stage in front of it, then hum deeply or yell into it. If you have no other recourse, such as when a shark starts bumping you, bang it on the snout or gills, but if possible do this only with a gloved hand or arm, or inanimate object. The skin of many sharks is quite rough and could easily draw blood from an unprotected body part. A number of protective measures have been experimented with, including certain chemicals and electrical shields, but none has proved infallible.

You can reduce the already very tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; (2) diving in groups; (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep; (4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; (5) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; (6) avoiding murky water; (7) not harassing a shark; and (8) quickly returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures.

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear."

What the above says is that your chances of being attacked while diving in the CR while observing these basic shark rules are essentially nil.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I have visited CR twice. The best dives short of Cocos Island would be in the Gulf of Papagayo. Specifically the Cat Islands (Catalina Islands). I have been twice and the best shark encounters were at a dive site called Northwest Drift. I always dive with Deep Blue Diving Adventures in Playas Del Coco. The owners (Billy and his wife Terry) are American expats and they offer excellent service. Their prices are the best in the area as well. My last visit was December and the two tank morning dives were $30. No typo and no catch - same dive sites as Bill Beards and others - nice boat (36') - very professional - complete dive service. They just decided to offer better rates. They go out on almost every dive because they love it. Terry can point out more sealife than any other guide I have ever experienced.

To answer your question about the sharks.....You will see them but they are quite skittish in fact. You usually get about 2 minutes with them before they disappear. They will not come to you - you will have to swim to them. You can also see giant manta rays here as well. Those are even more elusive. Absolutely no worries whatsoever about having a dangerous shark encounter. I have never seen Bull Sharks there. I have only seen White Tip Reef sharks.

--Matt

There are bull sharks along the Guanacaste coast, including the Gulf of Papagayo. Nice sized, too.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom