Costa Rica Pacific Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sully:
I agree with ibj40. His report is bang on.
I did Papagallo peninsula last October, and even though I only got in 2 days of diving, it was some of the best I have seen, particularly in terms of quantity and variety of animals.
Bat and Catalina Islans are must do's and Even Monkey Rock off of the Four Seasons, was incredible. I am trying to return later in 2011 if I can get some friends to commit.
Good Luck, DD

June/July is already rainy season down here... the south/central pacific coast would be ZERO viz, unless you go to Drake and dive Caño Island... but that's a TRIP to get to!!!... Going towards the north pacific, the papagayo peninsula, you can still have regular to good viz on the local dive sites (which may be just a few minutes away by boat), or can do Bat or Catalina Islands, and get GREAT diving...

I also would suggest to go between December and end of April as you will find perfect conditions on all the pacific coast.
As r2gasa wrote, below Tamarindo the weather turns to a little rain season in May and this can limit viz to a few feet. Better conditions should be at Tamarindo and Playas del Coco as there are no big rivers, but the weather is unpredictable...

Chris

Diving in that period is still good here, we have bad visibility usually in september.
June is very populair to do the Bat islands, great diving with bull sharks encounters.
Please check out our site or join us facebook and if you have any questions let me know

Brenda

I dove Papagallo about 3 years ago. Stayed at the Ocatal resort. 4 star with a dive operation on premise. I went in August, still the rainy season. Visibility was bad, maybe 10-15 ft., at most. No shore diving, The only thing that saved the trip was paying extra to go to Bat Island. Dove there for 2 days. Saw at least 10 huge Manta rays (20-25 ft across) and while waiting to do a safety stop, chased a huge Black Marlin. Saw no bull sharks. If you're going to go, please do not go during the rainy season....
It really mucks up the vis....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom