Costa Rica - continuing chat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkymn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in the area at the end of April/Beginning of May.. I don't know who I'll use yet, but Rich Coast seems to cost more than Diving Safaris, plus will be a drive from my hotel, Villas Sol. But I haven't decided who I'm going to use yet. Would be nice to know more about this Diving Fest that's happening while I'm there. Anyone know about it? Is anyone else going to be there during this time? (April 29th- May 6th)

snorkymn:
I'm going to be in the area at the end of April/Beginning of May.. I don't know who I'll use yet, but Rich Coast seems to cost more than Diving Safaris, plus will be a drive from my hotel, Villas Sol. But I haven't decided who I'm going to use yet. Would be nice to know more about this Diving Fest that's happening while I'm there. Anyone know about it? Is anyone else going to be there during this time? (April 29th- May 6th)
We stayed at Villas Sol last year at the exact same time you are there this year.. I took 32 people with me.Dive Safaris is ok,nothing too special..Was NOT IMPRESSED with the diving there ..temps are cold-67-68 degrees..visibility if we were lucky maybe 20' and dark..very difficult to do some photo work there,had to work real real close and even then so so(see my images at my gallery on costa rica)Expected some big animals,I could live with limited vis then but seen none...Food was plentiful and good.,Did the 5 days at Vilas then travel to hot spring,zip line , white water,horse thing.Fun trip but would not go back again for diving.Too many places that have more dives with warmer-clearer water to do.Going to Bonaire in a few weeks with a group.

snorkymn:

We dove with Deep Blue last March and were very happy with them. However, the water was way too cold for our liking (67F) (a 3 mm long and a 3 mm short and a hood and we were still shivering) and the viz wasn't great (on 1 dive it was around 3-5 ft). I've heard it's better starting in May. But like anywhere, conditions can vary considerably day-to-day. Other than the diving, we loved CR - Tabacon (hot springs) is worth the splurge, Monteverde's cloud forests were neat, the food was great everywhere... Went to Bonaire this past January and understood why the licence plates say "Divers' Paradise" - it truly is, IMO...

snorkymn:
Hi snorkymn,

I do not know where you got your information from, but the cheapest diving is in Playas del Coco. The dive centers here, including us, charge $70 for 2 tank dive and Diving Safari's charges $75. Not too much of a difference, but eh, we're still cheaper!

Diving Safaris quoted $325 for 10 dives. So that's less than 70 for 2 tanks.

But what's the dive fest all about? Or is that not during that time I'll be there? Is the water really that cold? I see from others on some other threads that it wasn't that cold when they were there around this time. I only have a 3mm full, and a 3mm shortie.

snorkymn:
Is the water really that cold? I see from others on some other threads that it wasn't that cold when they were there around this time. I only have a 3mm full, and a 3mm shortie.

Tolerance to cold obviously varies from person to person. Mid-60s is too cold for my wife and I (yes, I know, we're from Canada), but you may think it's fine. We asked the dive op to borrow hoods, which helped a bit. It might be warmer by May, and the temps can fluctuate day-to-day, so you never know.

snorkymn:
Diving Safaris quoted $325 for 10 dives. So that's less than 70 for 2 tanks.

But what's the dive fest all about? Or is that not during that time I'll be there? Is the water really that cold? I see from others on some other threads that it wasn't that cold when they were there around this time. I only have a 3mm full, and a 3mm shortie.

Most all Dive Operators have better deals on the number of dives you do. 10 dives vs 2 dives is not apples to apples. BTW you can always wear your shorty over your full 3mil if you have the stretch in the material :D

wfmiller:
BTW you can always wear your shorty over your full 3mil if you have the stretch in the material :D

I was going to say that. :D I wouldn't bring anything more than those two things.

This thread is seriously off-topic. I will see if we can start a general chat thread on Costa Rica..

The temperature changes every day at this time of the year. Yesterday we had 26 celsius. 3mm long should be fine.
Yes we do offer better deals with packages, but we also have lots of special deals during the dive fest.
This year will be our first dive fest and I am sure it won't be the best, but we will try.
We have a digital under water shoot where the best picture can win a price, we have prices for the treasure hunt. We will try to discover new dive sites which the divers can name afterwards and the best name gets a price. We are giving away some free dinners for 2 and free pool splash parties for new divers. There will be a big fiesta in town with differnt food to try, big party and sand sculpting. Loads of fun in Coco!
I think misdirected is right, let's start a new thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom