Costa Rica (Coco and Ocotal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstone84

Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from Playa Ocotal in Costa Rica. This was a unique experience that you have to see to believe. The visibility was between 50 and 80 feet but the wildlife was awesome.
On a trip to the Catalina Islands we went to Catalina Point. The first two minutes were the only ones that there weren't Manta Rays visible. The next dive at The Wall was just as spectacular, Manta Rays everywhere. The biggest was close to 20 ft across. There were also large turtles, white tip sharks, sea horses, Moray and Spotted eels, rock fish, large jelly fish, large starfish and schools of rainbow fish and others in the thousands.
The local dives were also excellent. The visibility was a little worse but the wildlife was still incredible. Lots of sea horses, white tips, rock fish, starfish, rock and corals etc.
The water temps were in the 80s with a thermalcline around 45-50 feet.
The dive operator Rich Coast Diving has great people working there, however bring your own equipment as the rental equipment is well used. My rented BC sprung a hole on one of my local dives and a dive master had to come up with me to keep me afloat and get back to the boat. Other dive operators in the area are El Ocotal, Deep Blue Diving, Bill Beards Diving Safaris and Resort Divers.
If you are going to the Playa Del Coco area I would reccomend staying at Villa Casa Blanca at Ocotal. The view and the staff are awesome. Unless you just want a cheap place to stay I wouldn't reccomend Coco. It is a little dirty and theft can be a problem.
I stayed for a week and I can't wait to get back.
:)

Sweet... sounds like fun... I've always wanted to go on some sort of trip like that...

Glad to hear you had a good time. Also, nice to hear that the visibility improved since I was there.

Were you able to visit any of the topside attractions?

Yeah Hoover,
We rented a 4WD and drove to Arenal and visited Tabacon Springs, we went to Rincon De La Vieja, and went to Vulcan Poas. We tried to go to the waterfall gardens in San Jose but they closed right as we got there. Costa Rica is an awesome country, I can't wait to go back and explore some of the other parks and try to dive somewhere in the caribbean. The best diving is supposed to be on the Pacific Coast but I also heard the diving is good on the caribbean side if you stay away from the river deltas. Talk to you later.

Greg

Sounds like you had a lot of fun... I dove with Rich Coast last year, except I didn't see as much as you did! We dove Catalina and saw one HUGE manta, it looked like 20' across. Then we saw massive schools of cow-nosed rays on our 2nd and 3rd dives. The viz wasn't that great, only about 30' at the most, probably why we only saw one manta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom