Cost to service primary and two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It would be interesting to know how much you pay to have your regulators serviced (primary, secondary and octi).

Model and brand would help to be more specific but, in general, $40USD labor for an annual (clean, adjust, test) and $90 labor + $60-$100 parts for an overhaul (rebuild, adjust and test).

$25 to $30 in parts and I do the service my self.

If I can find a source for the correct spec o-rings and seats the price would probably be about $5 to $10 in parts.

Initial investment in tools is probably couple hundred dollars but that washes out pretty quick, especially if you have multiple regulators to service.

I service them myself, too. Safer and cheaper.
Usually for normal yearly maintenance I just dismount everything, clean, check the O-rings and rubber parts, lubricate, remount, check and tune. Cost is less than 5 USD in silicon grease and one-two O-rings, or a seat.
I replace parts only when they show damage or wear.
However this year during the lockdown I had to spend my time, so I decided for a complete rebuild of all my regs (6 first stages and 8 second stages, all Scubapro MK5+109, except one, MK10+156).
These regs are very simple, only ONE special tool is required, the sector key for opening the first stage, which costs less than 30 USD, and the "bullet" for inserting the piston inside the O-ring, which I made myself.
I changed almost every part subject to wear, plus some levers, 2 diaphragm covers, and installed the DIN kit on 3 of them (one was already natively DIN). So I did spend more than 300 USD in parts...

As I remember, my local guy charged me $120. for an Atomic Z2 set with Octo last year.

As I remember, my local guy charged me $120. for an Atomic Z2 set with Octo last year.
Here in NS it's about in the same range, maybe a little more even with the exchange rate. But that's true of most things here.

Was that an annual safety check or a total rebuild (usually Atomic dealers charge around $200 for the latter)?

Probably a check and adjust. It came back breathing a little easier. I can't remember if he returned any parts. It was the first check after three years.

I called a local shop here in Northern VA, and it was insanely expensive for a MK25 / A700 combo. I am leaning more and more every day to learning to service it myself and trying to source the parts kits to do it. I have the shop space, probably most of the tools, and am handy enough I bet I could do it.

As others have already stated, prices vary with brands and localities. A first stage rebuild, along with the primary and safe second could easily run 150.00 or so.

Getting certain brands serviced -- Poseidon in particular -- was actually difficult for some time; and it's common for many to ship their gear, regardless of brand, out of state, for servicing.

Since I have been servicing my own gear for years; possess the necessary tools; my costs are minimal -- often less than some insufferable five-hyphen coffee drink, through a local chain . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom