cost of drysuit maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love getting out of the water after my second dive peeling off my drysuit and being nice and dry (and WARM). Sure it requires more weight, and an extra hose, but I would much rather dive dry than wet.

hex92:
I love getting out of the water after my second dive peeling off my drysuit and being nice and dry (and WARM). Sure it requires more weight, and an extra hose, but I would much rather dive dry than wet.
I agree assuming the suit is keeping me dry. According to the last several statements, about 50% of people agree that dry suits are a pain, but I think all agree that when they work, they rock. Unfortunately not all people have a good experience with dry suit diving regardless of brand and cost. One would be hard pressed to argue that a dry suit is as reliable and durable as a much cheaper wet suit. Some have been lucky. Some suits are just plain duds or the company has a bad design they refuse to do away with. For example, the DUI low profile valve. Do a search on that one.

Maintenance on a drysuit is cheap. wax, sealsaver, uh, yeah that's about it. I did wetsuit dives for my OW class. Bought a drysuit soon after and haven't looked back. Well worth the so called hassle. Oh, and I bought one that fit me, had the features I wanted and it doesn't leak. A poor fitting suit that leaks really isn't much fun. I'm diving to have fun, not to wrestle my gear.

bcsean:
Maintenance on a drysuit is cheap. wax, sealsaver, uh, yeah that's about it. I did wetsuit dives for my OW class. Bought a drysuit soon after and haven't looked back. Well worth the so called hassle. Oh, and I bought one that fit me, had the features I wanted and it doesn't leak. A poor fitting suit that leaks really isn't much fun. I'm diving to have fun, not to wrestle my gear.
Personally in cold water I can't see diving in anything but a drysuit. I have a wetsuit that rarely sees action anymore, and to me the drysuit is a lot less hassle. Getting in and out of it isn't a struggle with a tight fit...I just hop right in it and my buddy zips me in...DONE! And as has been pointed out, being dry and warm on the boat or shore is one of the best feelings around. If someone is suffering with a "wet" drysuit there are a couple of possible explanations. 1. The suit is a bad design with poor seals---unlikely with most major brands. 2. The suit isn't a good fit and the seals may have been trimmed wrong. 3.ESTO (equipment superior to operator), by which I mean that there are some differences in how you dive with a drysuit as opposed to a wetsuit. I know that my first 6 or so dives in a drysuit I came out of the water quite wet, in some cases with puddles in my attached socks. What I discovered with experience is that you can't always move the same and expect to remain dry. If I need to look at something off to the side, or below and behind me I can't whip my head around as that opens the neck seal and in comes the ocean. So its more of a twist the upper body sort of motion aka Frankenstein. Regardless you will usually get some seepage with any suit so they aren't totally dry. But with proper technique you can usually minimize the amout of water you take back to shore with you!

It is heresy, but I agree that a dry suit is often more trouble than it is worth...
I agree with the sentiment as well, If the water temps are at all favorable to a wetsuit I'll be in one. Although to give drysuits their due, in "moderate temps" it is awful nice to kick your shoes off & just jump into the suit in your street clothes. :wink:
Ditto on the zipper, they used to account for around half the cost of a drysuit. If going with neoprene, all the seals/cuffs can be fabricated DIY from scrap material even.
Buying a used suit is often a good way to go; in fact if you happen to be a size 02 or 03 in Viking sizes, check with your local rogue Viking dealer. :D

Do a search for "DUI" and "Leaking low profile valve" and you will find a long list of people complaining about a major brand with a bad design even though it doesn't seem likely. Don't get me wrong, I'm just bitter because I am one of the hundreds that purchased this very expensive bad design and had to dive wet in it over 50 times (to make sure that it wasn't ESTO) and pay to send it to DUI to be fixed without any apology. When they work, they are awesome!

keelhaul123:
What I discovered with experience is that you can't always move the same and expect to remain dry. If I need to look at something off to the side, or below and behind me I can't whip my head around as that opens the neck seal and in comes the ocean. So its more of a twist the upper body sort of motion aka Frankenstein. Regardless you will usually get some seepage with any suit so they aren't totally dry. But with proper technique you can usually minimize the amout of water you take back to shore with you!

This is one of the main reasons I went with Latex neck seal. Oh, and it's so simple to get it on. I can still look around, and it doesn't leak. But, it is a good point, and definitely something to consider.

I started out with a used drysuit. But soon after every dive, it became a game of where's the leak. :031: Seems like I spent more time patching that suit than I did using it. Ended up buying a new one, & haven't used any of my wetsuits since.

r37691:
I started out with a used drysuit. But soon after every dive, it became a game of where's the leak. :031: Seems like I spent more time patching that suit than I did using it. Ended up buying a new one, & haven't used any of my wetsuits since.

My drysuit experience was similiar. Honestly, I would have saved money in the long run if I'd just purchased the suit I really wanted in the first place. Would have enjoyed diving more as well.

s****enstein:
I've had quite a few used drysuits. Instead of paying 1000 - 2000 dollars for a new one, I usually pay 80 -200 dollars (Canadian) for a "well tested" one from a second-hand store.... I think my major expense has been tubes of AQUASEAL - the cheap diver's best friend.

Thanks S****enstein! This is what I'm hoping for... though I might run into a lemon along the way, I'm hoping to keep a little warmer for a few bucks less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom