cost of drysuit maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocean owl

New
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a used drysuit and my funds are limited. Any additional costs I should plan for maintenance or other things you end up buying as a drysuit owner? For example:

- a bar of wax to take care of the zipper
- a new hood with less neoprene around the shoulders (is this optional?)
- replacement valves
- replacement seals
- more weights (maybe?)
- different fins if the foot size is not an exact match

Anyone with experience with used drysuits? I wouldn't buy a used wetsuit since my own wetsuit already has compressed neoprene, but get the impression used drysuits can be promising. Pls don't try to talk me into a new drysuit unless you have personal experience with a USED one.

Thanks for any tips!
Ocean Owl

A used DS may be a great buy if:
1. If fits very well.
2. The wrist and neck seals are in very good shape.
3. It has no other leaks. Probably have to dive it to ensure this.
4. You are paying less than half of what any other DS would cost NEW.

If the above apply, you will only expect to pay for:
1. Larger fins. (maybe/probably, but can get used)
2. Wax. (a couple bucks for DS wax, or just use an old candle--I did on my used DS)
3. More weights. (just a couple pounds more than you already have if you dive 7mm)
4. New hood. (or cut the shoulders off the hood you have--I did)
5. New wrist and neck seals--but only after a couple hundred dives if they are in good shape and you take care of them.

Good luck,
theskull

The potential big ticket item on a used drysuit is a new zipper as it will cost around $200 to replace if it leaks. If the zipper is good and material of the suit itself is sound, the rest of it can be fixed affordably.

ocean owl:
I'm thinking of purchasing a used drysuit and my funds are limited. Any additional costs I should plan for maintenance or other things you end up buying as a drysuit owner? For example:

- a bar of wax to take care of the zipper
- a new hood with less neoprene around the shoulders (is this optional?)
- replacement valves
- replacement seals
- more weights (maybe?)
- different fins if the foot size is not an exact match

Anyone with experience with used drysuits? I wouldn't buy a used wetsuit since my own wetsuit already has compressed neoprene, but get the impression used drysuits can be promising. Pls don't try to talk me into a new drysuit unless you have personal experience with a USED one.

Thanks for any tips!
Ocean Owl
I've had quite a few used drysuits. Instead of paying 1000 - 2000 dollars for a new one, I usually pay 80 -200 dollars (Canadian) for a "well tested" one from a second-hand store, an ad in the paper, etc. I find that the zipper usually leaks a bit, but it's still a lot warmer than a wetsuit (although my "new" $200 front-entry Whites shell suit doesn't leak at all, except around the neck seal. -Skinny necks and neoprene seals don't mix). I don't worry too much about keeping them in mint condition. When they start to leak too much, I just find some loose change under the sofa cushions and buy another one. They usually last me about 2 years or 150 dives or so. You shouldn't have to worry about the valves. If they leak, it's because they are cra*py valves, not because the suit is used. I use regular candle wax to lubricate my zipper. I'm sure you could get away with wearing your regular wetsuit hood with your drysuit if you don't mind looking different. I bought a used hood for about $5. I've never had a problem with fins. I think my major expense has been tubes of AQUASEAL - the cheap diver's best friend.

1) Make sure your regulator has a port available for the drysuit inflator hose. And add a hose to your list of purchases unless the drysuit you buy has one.

2) Drysuit undies - unless you are diving somewhere that's not particularly cold and could layer sweats and the like underneath.

3) Perhaps a dedicated heavy duty hanger.

4) I have seen divers use a wetsuit hood. Just looks a bit funny with the skirt hanging out.

5) A dedicated bag for your drysuit. Particularly to keep your undies dry and away from the wet gear and the drysuit seals away from anything harmful.

Paula

Yes. Don's forget the undies. You are probably looking at about $200 plus for some decent undies including the poly pro and socks. And that's a low estimate. The dry suit is only a small part of the equation. The undies (with most suits) is what keeps you warm.

All dry suits leak eventually and some sooner than others regardless of price. Think about this purchase. If it's not a must, reconsider. A dry suit, for MOST, never lives up to the reliabilty, durabilty, and cost of a good wet suit. Do a search for dry suit problems and you will find long lists of people complaining about new and very expensive name brand suits with tons of issues. Good luck. I hate to paint a bad picture of dry suits, but the reality is they can be a boone but are usually more trouble than they are worth. It all depends on your realistic need for one. They are kind of like SUV's now that I think of it.

It is heresy, but I agree that a dry suit is often more trouble than it is worth. I move into my drysuit in mid October or early November and then move back into a semi-dry wet suit in June. A drysuit is appreciated in 30 something degree water over the winter, but I prefer the ease of use and low maintainece of a wet suit for most of my diving in warmer water (50 to 70 degrees) during the warmer months of the year.

DA Aquamaster:
It is heresy, but I agree that a dry suit is often more trouble than it is worth. I move into my drysuit in mid October or early November and then move back into a semi-dry wet suit in June. A drysuit is appreciated in 30 something degree water over the winter, but I prefer the ease of use and low maintainece of a wet suit for most of my diving in warmer water (50 to 70 degrees) during the warmer months of the year.

Couldn't disagree more. ;-) I haven't dove with a wetsuit in years and I don't want to go back. My drysuit is much easier to use and much more comfortable then any wetsuit I ever tried.

coreypenrose:
Couldn't disagree more. ;-) I haven't dove with a wetsuit in years and I don't want to go back. My drysuit is much easier to use and much more comfortable then any wetsuit I ever tried.

I agree.... Without question....

DA Aquamaster:

I agree 100% but I'm still fighting with an ill-fitting drysuit :) Been thinking about adding dry gloves after my last dive in 46 degree water but I'd still rather dive wet when it's warmer. Besides I think my zipper is leaking, wet suits never have leaky zippers :)
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom