Corrosion on Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Figured it wouldn’t be “new” again but as long as the area where my reg goes is clean, I’m good with it. Thanks for your input 😊
valves are one of those things that just aren't worth repairing IMO and I tend to replace mine at hydro and sell them for $10 or so. By the time you rebuild them and put a new burst disc in them at hydro you're at no less than $25 if you DIY. $16 for the kit, $8k for the burst disc assembly is $25 in parts plus the time to do it. New valve at $35? I'll do that all day long. If you pay a dive shop it will be even more and when they're corroded like yours are it's just not even worth it.

I'd go buy those overstock valves from DGX, take the 3000psi sticker off of them and call it a day. If the DGX valves were in stock I'd probably say spend the extra $8 on the modular valve from DGX because it makes carrying the heavy tanks a lot easier and the short tanks make their overall length noticeably shorter which is nice, but they're out of stock and not sure how long you can wait.

The corrosion on the valve looks pitted. So even if you cleaned it up, it'll still be pitted. And unless you somehow coated it, it's just going to corrode again. Either put on a new valve or just run with it. The surface corrosion won't hurt as long as the surface is smooth where the o-ring seats.

As for the hydro stamp, the vinegar water solution with a wire brush should work. After cleaning and drying you can mask it off, hit it with some primer then some paint to match.
I heard using the tougher liquid nail polish works like a charm as well.

valves are one of those things that just aren't worth repairing IMO and I tend to replace mine at hydro and sell them for $10 or so. By the time you rebuild them and put a new burst disc in them at hydro you're at no less than $25 if you DIY. $16 for the kit, $8k for the burst disc assembly is $25 in parts plus the time to do it. New valve at $35? I'll do that all day long. If you pay a dive shop it will be even more and when they're corroded like yours are it's just not even worth it.

I'd go buy those overstock valves from DGX, take the 3000psi sticker off of them and call it a day. If the DGX valves were in stock I'd probably say spend the extra $8 on the modular valve from DGX because it makes carrying the heavy tanks a lot easier and the short tanks make their overall length noticeably shorter which is nice, but they're out of stock and not sure how long you can wait.
I do like the idea of modular valves for ease of carrying. I bought these two the day after thanksgiving of 21, so I’m in no hurry at all, once I use the nitrox fill then I’ll be pushed to get it Hydroed. Won’t be anytime soon lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom