Correct weight - feels good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a trip to Cozumel and for the first time felt comfortable with my buoyancy and what a great feeling. For reference I am 6'1", 230lbs, ( probably 15lbs more than ideal for my large frame ) and I was drift diving with a shorty wetsuit and 14lbs of weight. I am not even sure what changed except for maybe a bit more experience after 25 dives. I was able to descend easily but had no trouble controlling my depth with just a little deeper or shallower breath. I never had to add air or adjust my BC after my initial 100% deflation. No problem with holding my 15' safety stops. What a relaxing feeling not to be constantly thinking about buoyancy. I was continually using less air than the rest of my group and my dives were relaxing and fun.

Last edited:
Getting your weighting nailed is more than worth the effort involved.

Well done!

You may find that, on your next trip, you can cut the weight down even more. 14 pounds with a shorty still seems like quite a bit.

Good for you!!! It's like gear: FIT AND COMFORT! If it works for you, then keep diving it.

You may find that, on your next trip, you can cut the weight down even more. 14 pounds with a shorty still seems like quite a bit.

So how much weight should a 230lb, 52 year old, 6,1" man in reasonably good shape ( work out every day +- ) use in a shorty, in warm salt water and an AL80?

So how much weight should a 230lb, 52 year old, 6,1" man in reasonably good shape ( work out every day +- ) use in a shorty, in warm salt water and an AL80?
I'm 6'3 200 lbs and with 2 sidemount'd 80's and a 8 mil suit I use 8 lbs.

Now get on the scale with your entire rig on and subtract 1# for every 40 to convert back to fresh water weight requirements. And log that data.

i just got back from a trip to cozumel and for the first time felt comfortable with my buoyancy and what a great feeling. For reference i am 6'1", 230lbs, ( probably 15lbs more than ideal for my large frame ) and i was drift diving with a shorty wetsuit and 14lbs of weight. I am not even sure what changed except for maybe a bit more experience after 25 dives. I was able to descend easily but had no trouble controlling my depth with just a little deeper or shallower breath. I never had to add air or adjust my bc after my initial 100% deflation. No problem with holding my 15' safety stops. What a relaxing feeling not to be constantly thinking about buoyancy. I was continually using less air than the rest of my group and my dives were relaxing and fun.

Well, most people are, in and of themselves, close to neutral. A BC might be as much as 3 lb positive, and the Al tank is 4 pounds positive when empty. I can't imagine a well-used 3 mil shorty being more than a couple of pounds positive. So . . . maybe 10 pounds?

It sounds like you have it figured out. If that weight is working for you then use it. If you feel like eexperimenting then drop 2lbs and see what happens.

Well, most people are, in and of themselves, close to neutral. A BC might be as much as 3 lb positive, and the Al tank is 4 pounds positive when empty. I can't imagine a well-used 3 mil shorty being more than a couple of pounds positive. So . . . maybe 10 pounds?

Not Americans... Most people can float on their backs reasonably well in salt water with a moderately full breath. A large man could easily have 4-6 lbs of natural buoyancy at the surface..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom