Correct use of open fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He-MaN

Registered
Reaction score
What´s the correct position of the feet when using open fins?
Should my feet be entirely inside the fin including my heel? Or it´s more correct to leave a part of my feet (maybe the heel) out of the fin?

Everyone agree with pbm03?

The top edge of the fin should come to just below the break in your ankle... IE: It should not restrict movement by jamming into the base of your leg, but should not be stuck on the end of the metatarsal arch.

If the fin is too large and floppy, then a smaller size (that will not come up as far) might be better. Crowding of the toes against the end of the fin (fin too big but with a short pocket, like Jet/Turtles) can cause cramping (this is the reason for many open-toe designs).

The position of the heel will be dictated by the design of the fin's sole plate.... a Jet/Turtle will have the heel fully exposed, while a Twinjet will have it mostly protected on the bottom.

I have talked to a lot of divers regarding this when I was researching on buying my first set of fins. Most of the people I talked to all agreed and said that you shouldn't have more than 3 inches of your foot out of the pocket, especially for the Mare Volo fins, which I opted to buy and I love them...

However, there are many types of fins and if you want the true answer then just write to the people who make and sell them, the manufacture... They will be more than happy to answer your questions. That is what I did with the Volos. I wrote to Mares and they actually sent me pictures of correct and incorrect fits...

Hope this helps..

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom