Correct strap placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My recently purchased boots have a sort of rubber "bumper" (I don't know the English word) to prevent the fin's strap from moving (right between A and B in the picture below). What's the idea behind it? To prevent the strap from escaping the boot downwards, or to prevent it from going upwards? I'm placing the strap at A since it's more comfortable there. Am I right?

j8J9400.jpg

Boots tend to get holes in them on the back of the heel. For this reason there is the reinforcement to begin with. As for strap placement, go with personal comfort- works most of the time.

The cleat between A and B is to prevent fin strap slip and/or to step on when geting the boot off. The best answer may vary with fins & straps so do whatever feels right.

I had my fin placed just like you, at least until i was a hair from losing one of my fins in the wicked Galapagos current. After that i have been VERY careful to place the straps over that bump.

With that boot I would put the strap at B so it won't slip off. I have seen similar set ups where the fin strap has a hole in it, the bumper is then meant to sit in the hole, this though requires you to match brands/models correctly.

Consider replacing the straps on your fins with Spring Straps>
Then you can place those straps where ever you store the gear you'll never need again.
Hundreds of dive with them, never had any problem with them moving.
Plus, it is easier to don/doff Fins with them.

I place the strap over B. The heel tab will keep the strap from slipping off or getting washed off in a heavy surf entry.
If it's not comfortable there, you may have your fin straps too tight.

If you can't seem to make it comfy in that area, then just go with what is most comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom