Correct name of dive sites at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
O.K. I have dove a few different locations at Pleasant before. However, I have come to realize that people have used the same name such as "Desert Tortoise" and "Vista Point" to mean completely different locations.

I have attached a google earth image of the south part of the lake which should include most of the popular dive site accessible by road. Perhaps some of you can chime in here so there might end up being a general consensus as to the correct site name. Feel free to copy and paste an updated image to correctly identify or name additional sites if warranted.

As far as the "Unnamed site" my OW instructor had indicated that this was Vista Point but I always thought Vista Point was on the east side of the lake (Maricopa Water District side), west around the mountain of the north launch ramp. Maybe I am wrong.

‘bob

Attachments

• Lake Pleasant South Side.jpg
    Lake Pleasant South Side.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 372
You pretty much have it. The Spillway is also known as the 10-lane boat ramp site. I don't think the unknown name site has a name. Also DT is several locations depending on the water level. When the level is down you'll also have the Burro Island site which is accessible through DT Rd.

It looks to me like the area you call "unknown name" is Beismeyer Point. Vista Point is labeled correctly. The area that I've been diving is to the east of there where the shore line cuts into a deep V shaped cove. That area usually has pretty good visibility, for Lake Pleasant. I think the good vis is due to the shape of the cove and how it somewhat isolates the area from traffic. Even though there is a boat launch next to it, the boats all tend to go away from the cove and the water is pretty deep (50+') where the boats are launched. BTW, today's lake level report shows the lake at 81% full (was 77% last week). The elevation of the surface is 1685ft (full is 1720 ft).

Full is actually at 1702'. I've seen it over full once in the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom