Correct Bouyancy Control Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry suit for buoyancy on the dive, BC on the surface. Exhaust valve open the entire dive.

Have tried both methods, and this works best for me. The air in the suit is what I need for warmth. I have a large DSLR camera rig (Nikon/Subal/Ikelite strobes), and this approach works best for me for photography. Easy to dump air by rolling to the right.

Good Luck,

Dan

as was said already venting the DS on ascent is slower, this is great going up a line as it will slow your ascent rate down for that extra ascent speed safety margin, i 100% agree with taking away the squeeze and BC for buoyancy

If you're a single tank AND your weighting is correct you can quite happily use the suit or the wing/bc for buoyancy.

The suit stops being viable once you start diving overweighted - usually from carrying multiple tanks.

A good point made!! So why relearn once you move to doubles? I know not everyone will but you never know. Learning to dive a dry suit can be a challenge enough.

Where is option 3? Leave the drysuit valve open (or mostly open) the entire dive, and let it vent itself on ascent?

Maintaining buoyancy with the drysuit is asking for trouble. One day you'll blow the ascent, and there will be no stopping it.

But, it's your life. You choose.

Sure there is a way to stop it. Grab the neck seal and pull it open. A large amount of air will be released instantly. Sure, it is a bit moist, and maybe not the warmest of options. It does stop that runaway ascent though. :)

Joe

This of course assumes that the water temps will be tolerable for pulling such a maneuver. I'd imagine that pulling this in lake superior after a 1 hour dive at 200ft might make this suicide. As would simply allowing with the runaway ascent.

So to my mind, the best way to never get into these kinds of life or death decisions is to not follow the practice in the first place.

Again, simply my opinion, and everyone is welcome to their own.

Sure there is a way to stop it. Grab the neck seal and pull it open. A large amount of air will be released instantly. Sure, it is a bit moist, and maybe not the warmest of options. It does stop that runaway ascent though. :)

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom