core warmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natalie, I use a 7mm hyperstretch with a hooded vest -- in the summer here. I don't think this combination would be adequate to allow you to begin your dive season at the temperature you mentioned. I, too, support going dry. Although it does mean there is more to learn (and that's a bad thing?) it will make diving more comfortable in the long run.

So at what temperature can I get away with the wet suit? 50? 55? How quickly will it warm up out here? I've invested so much in the rest of my gear already, I hate to go for another $1500 for a dry suit when I can spend under $600 for the wet suit ensemble. Multiply that by two, because whatever I get the hubby gets also. I do plan on a dry suit eventually... depending on how frequently I manage to dive out here. I don't exactly live close to the ocean.

No one has an opinion of core warmer on top vs beneath?

Natalie

grendelgrl, i'm no expert, but when i wear my hooded vest, i always wear it under my wetsuit. just seems more sensible to me. good luck, dm

SubMariner once bubbled...
Semi-dry equates to "being a little bit pregnant". Either you are or you aren't. Same with diving: either you're wet or you're dry. There's really no such thing as "semi dry". It's basically a marketing gimmic.

~SubMariner~

I know you're right about diving dry, especially for me, since I get cold easily. (Grumpy, stomping foot on ground.) But I don't wanna learn anything new right now!

Oh well....(preparing to yield to the inevitable....)

Thanks for your help!

:)

DM

I ended up getting the Henderson 7 mm Gold Core Full Core Combo. I was all set to get a Diving Concepts Drysuit. After adding up the cost for the suit, the class, the undergarmet, etc. It was alot!

People on this board suggest to get a cheap drysuit, but cheap isn't really my style. I will get the drysuit, eventually. Also, the cost was x2 as my husband and i were both getting suits.

I haven't used mine yet, but when I did my open water here in Illinois, I used a 7mm Farmer Jane style 2 piece suit. The water was 55F surface, 41F at thermocline. I was so comfortable in 55F, but I was COLD at the thermocline, so I have some idea what to expect.

Just my experience.

Julie

Natalie,
I've got a 5mm Hyperstretch fullsuit with a 5mm Hyperstretch core warmer. I wear the core warmer over the fullsuit, since I think having the fullsuit next to the skin makes a better seal. Having seen my buddy's Gold Core suit, though, I think that one would make a better seal against the body.

As far as temps go, I have done a 45 minute dive in 50F water wearing the fullsuit + core warmer with a 7mm Hyperstretch hood and 5mm gloves. At the end I was comfortable except for my lips and my fingers were a bit cold. I stay warmer than most of my dive buddies normally. However, due to the chilling caused by being wet after getting out of the water, I wouldn't have wanted to make a second dive without a hot shower, campfire, etc.

Mark

hey juls, you wore a 7 mil farmer jane, plus a 7 mil jacket? 14 mil on the core?

THAT is what i wore during my training dives my first summer at the local quarry. i HATED it. (echoing an argument for drysuit here....) i felt like the pillsbury doughboy, like the michelin man, like....like....(um, thinking....) A MONSTER FROM THE DEEP!

my problems: i couldn't move under all that neoprene and i couldn't breathe ether. plus, given the hot virginia sun, i was ready to have a stroke by the time i got in the water.

but that's just me, lol :D

those were rental suits. for my second summer, i bought my own 7 + 7, got a great deal from some discount house....i wore it once, to pass my AI final exam.

my first month at scuba board, i GAVE the sucker away. (the woman who took it must not have liked it OR diving. she never thanked me, nor has she been back to the board since her check-out dives. hmmmm)

anyway, i'm considering a 7 mil one-piece suit, but if i want to dive in cold waters badly enough, i WILL go dry. (sigh.)

just sharing my nightmares... :)

dm

I've just been transferred to a west coast ship and we stop at Catalina. Now, I've always wanted to dive in the kelp here...but never knew just how cold it was <grin>.

I just ordered a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/3 as well as a 5/3 core warmer with a hood.....we'll see how it all goes <grin>

Since I am the epitome of a warm water wimp...we'll see how this goes....but really I am looking forward to diving around here.

So, is concensus that the full suit goes on the bottom with the core warmer on top?

On a slightly different note.....is there a formula for adding x amount of weight for each mil of neoprene? I've never worn anything thicker than a 3/2 before.

Peace,
Cathie

Curious me, I'd have gone for the 7 mil combo - but maybe with the core warmer, it will work. You won't have a loss of flexibility with the hyperstretch. I have heard any number of formulas for how much weight, etc., but nothing beats getting in the water to try it out. The type/bouyancy charactersitics of the tank are another thing to consider.

But I was warm in the water. The reason I am getting the Core Combo, is so I can use the 1 piece suit without the Core warmer. Yes, its hot before getting in the water. From what I understand, a drysuit with the thermal protection you need in 40-50 degree water, isn't much cooler. (Crushed neoprene)

Mostly, it was a financial decision at this time. It will work for the time being. I could go into all the $$$ we've spent this year on scuba related expenses, but that might be best for another thread.

Juls
:bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom