core warmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, a newbie here...

Well, I have a 5 mil Scubapro core warmer and a 3 mil Henderson hyperstretch full suit. When I bought the core warmer they told me I could wear it either way, but that it's warmer to wear the core warmer underneach because having the full wetsuit on top reduces the amount of water seeping in between the full wetsuit and the core warmer.

Dunno, I haven't tried it both ways. The Scubapro has a front zip, so I always wore it outside so I could unzip it if I got hot.

I've never worn the 7 mil Hyperstretch, but I think you could layer a small blimp under the 3 mil or the 5 mil with no problems.

I wore the 3 mil Hyperstrech jumpsuit and the 5 mil core warmer diving in the Bahamas (78-80 degree water) so that tells you what a wimp I am... (should have bought the 5 mil Hyperstrech full suit, live and learn.)

Bethany W

.........works very well in cold water. I started siving in 39 F this year and I wasn't cold. I wear the core warmer outside. The purpose of the goldcore is that it "clings" to your body and therefore doesn't allow constant and continuous waterflow thru the suit. Semi-dry?? No your are wet, however you are not carrying cups of water in the suit, but a couple of tablespoons.

It is much warmer than my old 2 pce 7 mil. My henderson is 7/5 with a 7 mil core warmer.

I wouldn't go back to any other suit, the Henderson is very flexable and I use about 3-4 lbs less weight than with my other suit.....

I did a number of dives in 50F water in a 7mil Farmer John when I first started.

Quite honestly it isn't the dive that's the killer, it's the surface interval, or geting changhed at the end of the dive. IMO the air temperature is as much a factor in diving wet as the water temperature.

I'm with the people who suggested saving for a drysuit, it makes the whole experience a whole lot more pleasant. You should be able to get into something adequate for <$1000 if your a stock size.

Semi-Dry is indeed mostly wet. :D I've got a Bare Extreme 7mil. While it's not very dry, it is very warm. It's such a great fit and nice innner surface, that I find it as warm as my 6.5 john/jacket. I've looked at getting the matching hooded vest for early/late season. Coldest I've worn it in was 35F on Dec 22/02. Was a 35 minute dive, only cold parts were my fingers. I wore it in a pool at about 78F for a weight check when I first got it and almost overheated after about 30 minutes (no hood or gloves, addition of which, upset my weighting and I had to add another pound).
It's certainly a lot easier/faster to get on and off than the 2 piece.

Back
Top Bottom