Coral Thief

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aafmiami-- are you the guy in the artcile then removing soft corals from the SPA?? -- Hope you like prison cause you are going.-- No AC in DOC .. but they cuddle to keep warm in winter.

...And I am too!

i can assure you that stilling was never the case NEVER!
That is what they want you to think!

Please, enlighten us. It seems like a pretty cut and dry case, but I am always open to the idea of new/unseen perspectives. From the stories linked in the thread, it appears pretty cut and dry.
And, I don't mean to be rude, but your first three posts on this thread are completely incoherent.
By the way, who is this vague and ominous 'they' you keep mentioning. Is it the Illuminati?
aafmiami-- are you the guy in the artcile then removing soft corals from the SPA?? -- Hope you like prison cause you are going.-- No AC in DOC .. but they cuddle to keep warm in winter.
I could easily be wrong(as I too often am :wink: ), but, if this guy is who he says he is, it appears he is already out and about. The last post before this was revived was late 2007.

Last edited:
In the Philippines we have such problems, even a few weeks ago it was reported that 40 tons of coral were found in a containor, the load was owned by a German! In this day and age with all the publicity about the health of coral reefs nobody can argue that they do not know that its wrong to take corals for profit in the aquarium trade! I use to have marine aquariums and I used broken corals i could easily pick up on dives but now I only have fresh water stuff even though I am based in the coral triangle!
There is always broken corals on the sea bed but I now try to transplant and re establish in the place that they are supposed to be, in the ocean and not an aquarium!

He got a 10-month prison sentence which was probably finished a while ago I guess. Feds kept the boat which was named named "Pippin."
Hey maybe there's a connection with Francisco "Pipín" Ferreras, the guy who killed Audrey.

Eric - run the background on Alexandre Alvarenga-Freire
News Release

FWSBAR.gif
newsbar.gif
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][SIZE=+2]NEWS [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]RELEASE[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]​

doj.gif
dojtitle.gif
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]March 22, 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]R. Alexander Acosta, United States Attorney[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]for the Southern District of Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eddie McKissick, Resident Agent in Charge, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, [/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Miami Resident Pleads Guilty to Illegally Harvesting and Selling Marine Life from Keys Sanctuary[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]R. Alexander Acosta, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, Eddie McKissick, Resident Agent in Charge, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Hal Robbins, Special Agent in Charge, NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement, Southeast Division, Commander Dave Score, Superintendent of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, Major Jeff Ardelean, Regional Commander, Special Protection Area, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC) announced today that ALEXANDRE ALVARENGA-FREIRE, 40, of Miami, Florida, pled guilty in Miami federal District Court in connection with the illegal harvesting and sale in interstate and foreign commerce of Ricordia florida, an invertebrate corallimorph, in violation of the federal Lacey Act, Title 16, United States Code, Sections 3372 and 3373.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]United States District Court Judge Adalberto Jordan accepted the guilty plea and set sentencing in this matter for June 1, 2007 at 9:00 am. FREIRE faces a possible sentence of five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $250,000, three years of supervised release, and an order of restitution. Additionally, a 1969, 34' fiberglass hulled Morgan sailing vessel, űIPPIN, which was used in the commission of the offense will be forfeited to the United States.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The corallimorph involved in this matter, Ricordia florida, are prized by aquarists for their varied coloration and their ability to impart a ÅÏatural look to tank displays. Both federal and Florida law closely regulate the harvesting and sale of such marine life. Pursuant to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and Protection Act and the National Marine Sanctuary Act, the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration issued regulations in 1997 to govern activities within the sanctuary. Title 15, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 922 prohibits the removal of, injury to, or possession of coral or live rock and further prohibits moving, removing, taking, harvesting, damaging, disturbing, breaking, cutting, or otherwise injuring any living or dead coral or coral formation, or attempting any of these activities without a specific permit. Florida Administrative Code, Section 68B-42.008, prohibits the harvest of live rock and Florida Statue 370.07 requires that a person who sells salt water marine related wildlife such as Ricordia florida, to hold a State wholesale and retail license. FREIRE held none of the required permits or licenses to engage in these activities.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to the Information filed in this matter, other court documents, and a statement of facts presented in Court, in November 2006 two German nationals were intercepted at Miami International Airport attempting to export 500 specimens of Ricordia florida, with live rock attached to the polyps, for sale through their business in Dusseldorf, Germany. They admitted to investigators that they had been involved with FREIRE in harvesting the marine life while aboard his vessel, the űIPPIN? east of Cudjoe Key in Monroe County. Their description made clear the activity had occurred in the Sanctuary.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators placed a Global Positioning System tracking device on the boat and monitored its location through January 25, 2007 when FREIRE was arrested at Cudjoe Key Marina returning from the Sanctuary with a load of 400 specimens of Ricordia florida. The tracking device placed the harvesting location within the Sanctuary, confirming the information from the German nationals. Further confirmation was acquired by having a Immigration and Customs Enforcement aircraft conduct an overflight of the vessel during the three-day harvesting trip prior to FREIREÃÔ arrest. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS) is a 2,800 square nautical mile area that surrounds the entire archipelago of the Florida Keys and includes the productive waters of Florida Bay, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic Ocean. The FKNMS encompasses coastal and oceanic waters, and the submerged lands thereunder, surrounding the Florida Keys, and extending westward to include the Tortugas islands, but excluding Dry Tortugas National Park. The shoreward boundary of the Sanctuary is the mean high-water mark. Within these waters are spectacular, unique, and nationally significant marine environments, including seagrass meadows, mangrove islands, and extensive coral reefs. The FKNMS supports rich biological communities with extensive conservation, recreational, commercial, ecological, historical, research, educational, and aesthetic values of national significance. These environments also support high levels of biological diversity, which are fragile and easily susceptible to damage from human activities, but possess high value if properly conserved.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to statements in Court, a team from the NOAA Damage Assessment & Resource Protection Office of the National Marine Sanctuary Program has evaluated the possibility of restoring the Ricordia seized from FREIRE at the time of his arrest to its natural habitat, in order to remediate some of the damage caused by his chiseling the polyps and live rock from the seabed. The cost associated with the effort is expected to exceed $78,000.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Acosta commended the coordinated investigative efforts of the U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service, the NOAA Office for Enforcement, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Immigration & Customs Enforcement, and the personnel of the Damage Assessment & Resource Protection Office of the National Marine Sanctuary Program which brought the matter to a successful conclusion. This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Thomas Watts-FitzGerald and certified Legal Intern Courtney R. Berman. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida at www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls. Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Southern District of Florida at www.flsd.uscourts.gov or on http://pacer.flsd.uscourts.gov. [/FONT]

here i am and as i read your comments and every one else I can only think and call out!
" Jesus Christ!"
if this poor people only knew the truth!
How unbelievable they did manipulated the peoples opinion on this case!
and you are very wrong about what you are saying my fellow diver!
things are not always like we think they are! or as they tell you it is!
there was nothing regarding being a thief with my case! absolutely nothing!
17 years of impeccable record in commercial diving is more appropriated to refer to me as...
framed by the system for convenience of some....
and more to this to freak your hair out of your head is here available!
unfortunately i was away as you all know for a wile but back already to start clearing the mess up! one at the time!

...And I am too!

i can assure you that stilling was never the case NEVER!
That is what they want you to think!

They did that, sunk my vessel wile hauling out the water!

:huh: Holy crap dude, perhaps you should consider hiring a translator to plead your case.

Interesting too that he came back to resurrect this thread; I'm sure that he was pretty much forgotten about while he was locked up. Now he's back on our radar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom