Info Old Greek documentary on coral mining (mid-1980s')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The current video is a shortened edition of an episode aired in 1985 in Greek state TV, as part of the documentary series “The Magic of Greek Depths”. The creator, diver Alexis Papadopoulos, was an environmentalist and among the pioneers of underwater videography in Greece. Along with his daughter Christina they documented several aspects of diving activities in greek seas.

According to the narrator (sadly, no CC available) “The red coral is harvested at great depths, between 70-110 meters. Dives at such depths are akin to Russian Rulette. The bottom time for these depths is between 8-12 minutes”. The documentary depicts two consecutive dives of two different coral miners. The first dive is exploratory, as the diver marks the exact position of a coral reef and brings up a specimen of red coral for evaluation. Then, the second diver plunges into a depth of 80 meters (262 feet), where he plans to stay for 11 mins. There he commences the harvesting and experiences the first symptoms of nitrogen narcosis. After a slight exceedance of his planned bottom dive (+2 mins), he ascends. His decompression schedule includes stops at 12 ,9, 6 and 3 meters. At shallow depths he switches to pure oxygen for accelerated decompression and surfaces after a total deco time of 50 minutes.

Apart from the ethical and environmental considerations of coral mining, this documentary has its own value, as it gives hints of commercial diving techniques used at an era that scuba diving was almost non existent in Greece. (The decades-long, nation-wide ban on recreational diving in Greece was lifted in 2005. Till then, the only scuba divers in Greek waters were military and a handful of civilians - mainly commercial divers, sponge divers and some archaeologists of the Greek Ephorate of Marine Antiquities)

The old sponge divers that I met normally didn't go below 70 meters.

This does give me ideas of a project. Maybe a follow up one? What scientific discipline do you (or anyone) thinks this falls under? I'll reach out to Dr. Vamvakas.

Well, those divers seem a bit more sophisticated than the traditional sponge divers. Sadly, no hints about their training (ex-Navy, maybe?) They follow a detailed deco plan (US Navy tables??) and know about accelerated deco by switching to pure oxygen (how? technical diving was non-existent then beyond the ranks of WKPP cave divers and the NW Atlantic wreck divers, AFAIK).

Well, those divers seem a bit more sophisticated than the traditional sponge divers. Sadly, no hints about their training (ex-Navy, maybe? ) They follow a detailed deco plan (US Navy tables??) and know about accelerated deco by switching to pure oxygen (how? technical diving was non-existent then beyond the ranks of WKPP cave divers and the NE Atlantic wreck divers, AFAIK).
I haven't watched the video yet, so my response may be somewhat inappropriate. Sadly, the information you reference was in the public domain, but other than the use of timing devices for being at depth, I'm not sure if any decompression stages

I did note that one of the still active sponge divers (probably in his 60's, which is old for a sponge diver) just signed up on Viber. He would be a great source of information on the history of sponge diving from back in the day (40 years ago at least) to today.

But that's another topic.

Well, knowing the Greek alphabet, but not the Greek language, I can transliterate but not translate the video title:
To kokkino koralli katadush sta 80 metra.

I'm guessing that koralli means coral and 80 metra means 80 meters. So if I knew what katadush meant, I would have the gist of it.

Apart from the ethical and environmental considerations of coral mining, this documentary has its own value, as it gives hints of commercial diving techniques used at an era that scuba diving was almost non existent in Greece. (The decades-long, nation-wide ban on recreational diving in Greece was lifted in 2005. Till then, the only scuba divers in Greek waters were military and a handful of civilians - mainly commercial divers, sponge divers and some archaeologists of the Greek Ephorate of Marine Antiquities)

Hi Antonios,

The comments in bold in my quote surprised me. Could you explain more about it or do you have any links with more information? I am just curious, I never heard about this.

Thanks

And thanks for the video. I could not understand it, but I liked the video.

It was also interesting to see the dive equipment they were using. I saw what looked like two Dacor first stages and at least one Scubapro 109 second stage. The first diver had either a Dacor second stage or a metal US Divers second stage. Mostly late 70's or early 80's dive gear.

The comments in bold in my quote surprised me. Could you explain more about it or do you have any links with more information? I am just curious, I never heard about this.
This isn't a link, just a shared story. Bob Hollis told me about how his friends were sailing in Greece, went diving near Crete in the 1990s. When they surfaced, the Hellenic Coast Guard was waiting for them and confiscated all their diving and underwater photography gear.

I have come across links, typically in Greek, that discuss the diving history in Greece. I can tell you that the first year that the first laws regarding antiquities and the requirements for reporting (and corresponding reward for doing so) was first released in 2002. I don't have a copy of this, but I do have the most recent version for anyone ever interested.

Well, knowing the Greek alphabet, but not the Greek language, I can transliterate but not translate the video title:
To kokkino koralli katadush sta 80 metra.

I'm guessing that koralli means coral and 80 metra means 80 meters. So if I knew what katadush meant, I would have the gist of it.
katadysi not katadush. καταδυση "scuba diving"

Thanks

I did some Google searching and found some stuff, but not a lot.

There is something at the beginning of this article.

More here:

This looks like an interesting article.

@Luis H

The problem Greece continues to have is looting. UNESCO claims that the safest place for shipwrecks is on the sea floor. I don't know how that can be the case given how frequently there are arrests for attempting to sell looted antiquities on the black market. I know sponge divers who have done this back in the day.

There's also the problem of fishing nets destroying wrecks/artifacts.

I don't know what UNESCO is thinking. I hope to speak one day about this with Mrs. Marianna Vardinogiannis, Greece's UNESCO goodwill ambassador. She's a pretty amazing person, and I think she'd listen to reason.

If you wish to discuss, feel free to send me a DM.

Sorry @Antonios for going off-topic.

@Luis H

The problem Greece continues to have is looting. UNESCO claims that the safest place for shipwrecks is on the sea floor. I don't know how that can be the case given how frequently there are arrests for attempting to sell looted antiquities on the black market. I know sponge divers who have done this back in the day.

There's also the problem of fishing nets destroying wrecks/artifacts.

I don't know what UNESCO is thinking. I hope to speak one day about this with Mrs. Marianna Vardinogiannis, Greece's UNESCO goodwill ambassador. She's a pretty amazing person, and I think she'd listen to reason.

If you wish to discuss, feel free to send me a DM.

Sorry @Antonios for going off-topic.
On, the contrary, it is a very interesting post. I knew almost nothing about the problem of looting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom