Greek divers discover Italian WWII submarine wreck “Jantina”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

Greek divers discover Italian WWII submarine wreck “Jantina”​

December 29, 2021

Greek divers have discovered the wreckage of an Italian submarine 80 years after it was sunk by the Allied Forces in the Aegean Sea during World War Two.
The Jantina, which had sailed from the Greek island of Leros with 48 sailors on board, sank on July 5, 1941, after being hit by torpedoes fired by British submarine HMS Torbay.
She was discovered last month by Kostas Thoctarides, one of Greece’s best-known divers, and his team, south of the island of Mykonos at a depth of 103 meters using a remotely operated underwater vehicle, the ROV Super Achilles, which carried out a detailed visual inspection of the wreckage.

“Naval history is like a puzzle, and this is part of that puzzle,” Thoctarides, a maritime expert, told Reuters. “The confrontation of two submarines is a rare naval event.”
Jantina’s identity was verified using records from Italy’s Naval History Office, Thoctarides said.
She is the fourth submarine located and identified by Thoctarides.
The wreckage of the Italian submarine Jantina that was sunk during World War II by the British submarine HMS Torbay, lays south of the island of Mykonos, in the Aegean Sea, Greece, November 3, 2021. Kostas Thoctarides/Handout via REUTERS

Pictures: Kostas Thoctarides/Handout via REUTERS

WOW. Great post and thanks for sharing.

WOW. Great post and thanks for sharing.
I'm looking forward to posting about my project in September.

I'm looking forward to posting about my project in September.

Hey ! You're telling too much or not enough. At least, can we know where you'll be searching ?

So I've figured ! :p but can't you bit just a tad more specific ? :wink:
Aegean Sea?

I'm working with the Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities. We have an exploratory expedition in May with a smaller team and the main expedition in September with the entire team and all equipment (laser scanning equipment as that ain't cheap and may not be available yet). What we are doing is bleeding cutting edge.

Aegean Sea?

I'm working with the Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities. We have an exploratory expedition in May with a smaller team and the main expedition in September with the entire team and all equipment (laser scanning equipment as that ain't cheap and may not be available yet). What we are doing is bleeding cutting edge.
Dying to see the results ! Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom