Cooper River Dive - Chas SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, if anyone's still around to talk about this, I'm thinking about hitting the Cooper in March. However, I'm not drysuit certified. Is it something that'd be tolerable in a 5 mil, or is it still just hideously cold?

I've done spring diving in FL in 67 degrees and did all right with it. What do you think?

It's pretty cold. I dived there in October, and the strong current makes the temp feel colder (sort of like wind chill) because it pushes water though every opening, which would make diving wet in the colder water tough. I dove dry, but still the water was blowing under and through my hood making me slightly chilled (water temp was in the 50's if I remember correctly). I found lots of what was mentioned before, but he coolest thing is a giant rodent tooth of some kind, beaver maybe? About 2 1/2 inches long and an inch wide. We found lots of Megs over 5 inches, but I only found 3 1/2 long Meg teeth. I highly recommend this guy, you actually stay at his house right on the river. His name is Mark, great guy.

http://www.divethecooper.com/

DiverDave76:
Let me suggest Bill Routh w/ Off the Wall Diving out of Salem, SC.

Tom McMillian has been diving the river a long time and knows it well, but he typically goes to spots a little further downstream, since he leaves from the Navy base area. Because of this, as fossils are washed further downstream, there is more possibility that they are damaged as the hit other rocks. Having dove the river, I'm sure you know what I mean. Not to mention that when diving with Tom you only get 2 dives. The only way you will ever find the good stuff is by diving the river...With Bill, he dives out of Goose Creek. You go out for the entire day and will get four dives. Just like fishing...the more lines you put out the better your chances...here, the more dives the better your chances. All of my big teeth I found while with Bill. When I dove with Tom I found some teeth but they were all in the 2 to 3 inch range.

www.offthewalldiving.com

Dave

Bill Routh runs a good operation. I would definately recommend him. His home base at Salem, SC (Lake Jocassee) is also a great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom