Cooper River Dive - Chas SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCDiver:
I tend to agree with the subliminal messaging, but my problem is i live two miles from the river, so I am always wanting to return....

i am certainly going to do it. what's the best time of year to dive the river?

thanks

Probably best when the water is colder. It gives you better vis. I usually try to watch the temps and dive it when it is mid 60's. Don't have to worry about gators at that temp either.

Dave

alrighty...

am i correct in thinking the best time to catch the river in that range would
be spring and fall?

Yeah Diver Dave, I gotta hit the Cooper River now that I have been there....ONCE. I talked at length with an old diving buddy of mine as we rested after diving before we hit the scene in Charleston and we agreed that what we had just done was work, hard, solo, and tough as hell. Did I mention solo?

I swore I had no desire to do it again for a long time....But the urge is hitting me now in the dead of winter! I guess the CR is a fix for me now!

And I swear I'll never dive it again on air. Nitrox is the way to go.

Colin Berry

I live in Charleston and did Cooper River as my second dive after certification, but I grew up swimming these waters. It was August a couple of years ago and viz was about 6" with my D8 light. Lots of people talk about the Meg teeth, but you find a great deal of other exciting fossils as well. In one day I came back with a whale's inner ear (looks eerily like a human ear), a ray biteplate, crinoids and some other stuff. You guys are right about it not being for the faint of heart; VERY strong current, limited visibility and comparitively chilly water. But, I LOVE IT! Can't wait till I go back.

Yeah Dread,

I hear you. The Megs are cool. Got one big one and a lot of little ones and some broken ones. Also some herbivore's tooth, a ray's crusher plate, one hell of a big knot of rope attached to the anchor, whale rib bones, and three whale's inner ear bones, and a skull of some sort. (They do look like human inner ear bones!) The thought that you'll never know what is going to show up 6" from your light, and when the vis will go to **** (From 12" to nothing!), or when the current will be stronger than your screwdriver. But, Damn!! It is a lot of fun!!

Colin Berry

I live in Charleston as well Dread (Send Me A PM), we need to hook up sometime ad do a dive. It is a lot of fun, and yes you all that asked, it is best to hit it March-May or Sept-Oct. Those have always been good for me.

Take care and see yall in the River.....

DreadPirate:
I'll definately drop you a line. A March Cooper dive would be great!

guys, i am dying to do this dive. i'd love to tag along if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom