Cooper River Dive - Chas SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in the post. I did a river dive back in August and finally decided to get some pics developed. I found a 2.5" Megalodon Tooth. Great dives.

Picture of Tooth

Who'd you dive with? I've been on the river with a couple of different guys. have had really good luck in 20 dives and have 3 complete teeth over 5 1/2", one being 6 1/4". Numerous smaller and hundreds of fragments. It get's real fun when you start finding things!

Dave

I thought I attached a picture of my big tooth but I guess it didn't pick up. I'll try again later

Dave

I went out with Tom McManus of Day on the Cooper with Tom

http://www.cooperriver.com

It was alright, but I will probbaly use a friend next time as I got a book with gps info on the better spots now.

Let me suggest Bill Routh w/ Off the Wall Diving out of Salem, SC.

Tom McMillian has been diving the river a long time and knows it well, but he typically goes to spots a little further downstream, since he leaves from the Navy base area. Because of this, as fossils are washed further downstream, there is more possibility that they are damaged as the hit other rocks. Having dove the river, I'm sure you know what I mean. Not to mention that when diving with Tom you only get 2 dives. The only way you will ever find the good stuff is by diving the river...With Bill, he dives out of Goose Creek. You go out for the entire day and will get four dives. Just like fishing...the more lines you put out the better your chances...here, the more dives the better your chances. All of my big teeth I found while with Bill. When I dove with Tom I found some teeth but they were all in the 2 to 3 inch range.

www.offthewalldiving.com

Dave

*adds another MUST DO DIVE to the ever growing list*

this sounds great guys, and thanks for the local info, which is priceless

Definitely a "must do", but only for the "not so faint at heart"! Tough diving...but rewarding. Not something many divers will ever do.

Dave

The Cooper River is some of the toughest diving and the most rewarding diving I have ever done. Not reccomended for beginners or the faint of heart. Can't wait to go back for my yearly fix!

Colin Berry

CoBerry,
So you have to get a yearly fix also??? Everytime I come out of the river (after diving all day) I say that I won't do that again...then about 8 or 9 months later I start get the urge. I think that river sends out subliminal messages to us bottom dwellers!

Dave

I tend to agree with the subliminal messaging, but my problem is i live two miles from the river, so I am always wanting to return....

Back
Top Bottom