Coolest/Most Unique "Finds" While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago, a group of us were traveling from Northern California to Southern to dive the oil rigs just off the coast.

We went down a day early, and did a shore dive that was supposedly in the area where they filmed some of the diving for the old '60s TV show, "Sea Hunt" - most famous for bad guys always trying to cut the air hose during underwater wrestling fights. During our dive, I found an old rusty knife that immediately made me feel like I had come across TV history. It probably wasn't, but it did put a big smile on my face and a story to tell.

Fully rigged yacht in 18m 1985 or 86 off Middle Head Sydney, old auto pistol at the mouth of the Tweed river [Qld side], 303 rifle off Fort Denison Sydney Harbour, again 85 or 86, in very poor condition.

Did you keep them? Could've gotten "fair price" 19 years later.

This prohibition whisky from the Detroit River was a nice find.
1704073008967.png

Years ago it was common to find old bottles. Now it’s Go Pro’s, sunglasses, an occasion trolling motor.
The most recent surprise was a full scuba kit rented from a LDS. A group a couple weeks prior we’re on a pontoon boat and one diver left their gear standing up. As another boat past, the wake tipped it over and into the water.
We found it a couple weeks later at about 90’. Both the LDS and diver were happy for its return.

I found some RayBans recently. Retailed at $175 +/-. Gave them to my son in law.
Found a gun years ago at Blue Heron Bridge. Probably the most popular dive site in the US. In Florida at least. The cops that I handed it off to -- long story short-- were fired when it was found out they decided to keep it.. Cheapo gun too..

One of the most unusual was the purple "toy."

The one I am most proud of is a whole-ass uncharted shipwreck.

I have a bottle off of it and left two more on the sternpost for future divers.

I could have grabbed the anchor off of the tug Charlotte, but decided I don't really need it. Pulled a kayak paddle out of Lake Samish a couple months ago that I gave to one of my partners for her kids. Found a sunken rowboat someone tried to convert to a homemade jet boat and dropped a large rock through when that didn't work.

People just don't swim as much around here and so the opportunities for "booty" are less. I should go take a dive off Taylor Street Dock and see what they have dropped one of these days.

I found a 0.303 rifle (cut down) and ammunition to suit just over a year ago on a dive in Port Hacking, Sydney. It still worked, despite been up to 100 years old.

Handed to police, who then came and took a statement. Then next day police divers went there looking for more stuff, don't think they found anything more.

Attachments

• lilli-pilli-gun-1.jpg
    lilli-pilli-gun-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
  • lilli-pilli-gun-2.jpg
    lilli-pilli-gun-2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
Handed to police, who then came and took a statement. Then next day police divers went there looking for more stuff, don't think they found anything more.

You didn't get to keep it?

I don’t often dive at popular dive spots, so not a lot of lost dive gear. I have found a few things, though.

Found a titanium dive knife.
Found more anchors than I know what to do with. Have three on the boat, and two more around the house. Sold a few that I didn’t need. Best was a stainless plow anchor that I use.
Several years ago, I found a 3 lb soft weight. Then another a few feet away. I then realized that I had neglected to close the red zipper on my new BC’s weight pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom