Convince me to get a bottom timer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With time that will wear off in salt water. I used a permanent marker to note where to tie the knots, but those markings are all but gone. Besides, you can use the knots even if you lose vision.

AG does recommend knotting. He refers to an incident where he and his buddy had dramatically different depth readings, and he shot a bag to determine which one was right.

Personally, I've never tried using it as a ruler. When I shoot, I let it go up fast. I don't control the unspooling enough to count knots or even see them. But I have used them to ascend blind.

I'm not sure what his feelings are regarding a redundant BT, but I can find out. In the above, having two BTs per diver may have clarified the issue (three reading the same, one reading differently, go with the three that agree... like a CCR and its sensors :p).

Thanks to all who have thrown in their opinions! I think I decided on the Liquivision and the biggest reel I can find!

On a serious note though, I really appreciate the input. I'm gonna check out the Tec2G, I just saw the term ratio deco for the first time about two weeks ago on here so I have no clue about it in any way, but it sounds like the Tec2 has some sought-after features that I may enjoy in the future.

With time that will wear off in salt water. I used a permanent marker to note where to tie the knots, but those markings are all but gone. Besides, you can use the knots even if you lose vision.

AG does recommend knotting. He refers to an incident where he and his buddy had dramatically different depth readings, and he shot a bag to determine which one was right.

Personally, I've never tried using it as a ruler. When I shoot, I let it go up fast. I don't control the unspooling enough to count knots or even see them. But I have used them to ascend blind.

I'm not sure what his feelings are regarding a redundant BT, but I can find out. In the above, having two BTs per diver may have clarified the issue (three reading the same, one reading differently, go with the three that agree... like a CCR and its sensors :p).

We were doing some diving for a university researcher and trying to come up with the actual size of a sponge field underwater. They had invented all sorts of gizmos to measure distance underwater including current meters, etc. (area too big for a tape measure). It was in about 130 fsw. Since my buddy and I both were using X-scooters I suggested we do a timed run over a known distance and then do several runs over the sponge field and calculate the size based on our known speed in feet per minute. They suggested that it would be difficult to come up with a "known distance" on the terrain UW. I told them we would descend to a depth as told by our depth gauge, shoot an SMB, tie a knot in the line, pull the SMB back down, lay the line out horizontal and use that for our known distance. Did a few timed runs with the scooters and.......presto, instant measuring device. Worked great for calculating the sponge field.......

Thanks to all who have thrown in their opinions! I think I decided on the Liquivision and the biggest reel I can find!

On a serious note though, I really appreciate the input. I'm gonna check out the Tec2G, I just saw the term ratio deco for the first time about two weeks ago on here so I have no clue about it in any way, but it sounds like the Tec2 has some sought-after features that I may enjoy in the future.

Don't worry about RD yet. You can google it if you want. It's not rocket science but you are a ways from using it as a tool yet. Enjoy your diving with your Tec2.

Don't worry about RD yet. You can google it if you want. It's not rocket science but you are a ways from using it as a tool yet. Enjoy your diving with your Tec2.

I may look into it just to have an idea, but by no means is it something I plan to attempt without learning it the right way. I'm gonna go get hands on with the nitek duo and the Tec2 and see which one I like more. They're about the same price, the download cable for the nitek is over a hundred dollars more though, so it's going to need to be pretty convincing to make me choose that option.

Cheetah - if you have a relatively recent laptop, it probably has an infrared interface (IRDA), which is what the 2G uses. If not, you may have to buy a USB IRDA dongle. However, they are substantially less than 100 bucks, so it may not be an issue.

I don't know anything about the Nitek, but the logging software on the Aladin is really nice.

I don't know anything about the Nitek, but the logging software on the Aladin is really nice.

Nice functionally, but a bit cheesy (unless there is a way to strip out the four icons above the profile) for my taste.

Does anyone know where I can download the Tec2 software to compare the packaged software between the two computers?

Sorry if I came off a bit confrontational. The problem with the internet is that it is bloody difficult to convey emotions.....

no worries. s'all good.

You may want to look at the OP's comments again. You brought in RD even though the OP is a long way from doing any deco dive. Telling a Recreational diver the answer if RD is like telling a plumber the answer is calculus...no offense to plumbers.....:D

i made a previous post you prolly missed that would clear up this for you. basically, i had to bring up RD because that's the only way to for the OP to use a BT and not get penalized for multi-level dives b/c you are using tables. then i suggested he run the computer as a computer b/c no one is going to teach RD over the internet but buy one with the ability to switch to gauge later on after Fundies.

If you feel that carrying a backup bottom timer is unnecessary because you prefer to rely on your team, ask yourself what kind of a liability you will become to your team when your single bottom timer packs it in. Hope much extra effort is it to pack an extra bottom timer? Put it in your pocket if you want. For a small amount of effort, you can avoid a whole slew of potential problems. I admire your decision to approach diving from a team perspective but I would suggest that you don't let that reliance turn into a liability. If the **** hits the fan, it might be very useful that you could run the deco and let your teammates worry about something else.

We will have to agree to disagree i guess. if my BT takes a crap, then I'll shoot the bag while my teammate calls deco. There's plenty of stuff to do at all times. The philosophy that my team is my backup is where we don't see eye-to-eye.

As to your 150' spool with knotted line, if you were not going to shoot your bag immediately after you realized your BT crapped out, how would you know when you arrived at your first deep stop? (110' or otherwise) I also submit that you are going to be fairly task loaded counting knots on your spool for the next 25 minutes or so........

I always know what depth i'm at so let's figure it dies at 150' and i get separated from my team, if i was below 150' (max would be 180, but i rarely hit that for more than a min or two, my avg depth is 150-160) i feel pretty confident that i could rise in the water column 20 - 30 feet, stop and shoot my bag. If when i shot my bag i realized i hit 100' and missed my 110' deep stop, i'll add the minute there and perhaps an extra at 70' when i switch. this isn't an exact science as you well know. i'll have been ascending plenty slowly anyway.

I understand the party line about not planning for two failures, but you may want to think this part through a little more. Just a suggestion. A back up bottom timer is a pretty small piece of insurance. You might also find, as I do, that having a time keeping/depth keeping device on each wrist is pretty handy. I use either one, depending on what I am doing at the time. Just some advice based on experience.

Suggestion noted, i'm sure you speak from more experience than i have. What if one starts acting strangely and gives you a different reading than the other. Which one do you trust then and how do you reconcile?

As a side note, in my tech II class, one of my team mates was using bottom timers and was "advised" to get something with a second feature. Puts everyone on the same page for resets, etc.

That's why i went with the Tec2G. it's WAY more annoying to them when i'm calling deco waiting for the minute to flip over. :D

Also, happy to hear that you have 100 dives using RD and you have the discipline to hold yourself from hitting that next level where you need a 150' deepstops. Too many people go charging ahead without building the confidence and experience first. Good job.

Thank you. Diving is a journey to me, I don't care for the "trophies" (cards for cards sake, deep bragging rights, etc) too much.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom