Converting Uwatec's JTrak logs to MacDive (and others)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helgew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are you using JTrak on a Mac to pull dive logs off of your Uwatec dive computer (SmartCOM, SmartTEC, SmartPRO, SmartZ, Aladin PRIME, Aladin TEC, Aladin ONE, Aladin 2G, Aladin TEC 2G, Galileo SOL, Galileo TERRA und Galileo LUNA)? Do you have old logs stuck in JTrak that you would like to move to some other software? Read on!

I recently got back into diving and bought a whole bag of used equipment for a very decent price. One of the items was a very gently used Galileo Sol, which has served me just fine for the time being and I have no urge to replace it yet. Once I had a couple of dives logged, I started looking at software options to manage my dives and all my shiny new (aka used) gear on my beloved MacBook. That's when I first stumbled across MacDive, which looked like an awesome tool to me (still does!). Lo and behold, I quickly found out about the issues around the support for the Uwatec computers in MacDive. Well, bummer, I thought, I'll just make do with JTrak!. That lasted for about 2 weeks and I got frustrated with the lack of features, specifically the inability to manage gear, sites, and other things supported by MacDive. OK, I thought, I'll just export from JTrak and import into MacDive. As you all probably know, that's not an option out of the box. The perl script I found to convert the JTrak Excel output to a format MacDive could work with seemed like a good option. However, in the course of looking for it, I also dug a little deeper into JTrak's data format and code architecture. My goal was to have a simple tool that could convert JTrak data directly into an XML format compatible with other dive log software (mainly MacDive, really! Did I mention that I like MacDive?).

Anyway, long story short, after cobbling something together, I decided to wrap it all up into something others might also find useful: JTrak2XML. Feel free to give it a spin and let me know if it works (or doesn't).

The tool allows you to export all your dives from JTrak to MacDive XML or UDDF format. You will need to enter your name (or someone else's, JTrak2XML don't care) as well as the location of the JTrak app. The window that pops up when you run the tool should be pretty self-explanatory.

For now, it's a pretty bare-bones tool wrapped into a simple application. On platforms other than OS X (not yet tested; when asked for the JTrak app, point it at a file named JTrak.jar instead) you will need to use the command line (a single command you can copy and paste from the GitHub site. You can do it!!).

Let me know what you think! Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Just a follow up for anyone else who comes across this problem:

DiveLogDT on the Mac will directly Import dives from your old JTrak Mac logbook as well as from your ScubaPro LogTRAK database/logbook. (You can also try this out by using the free version of the App called DiveLogManager). It will also directly download your IrDA based ScubaPro/UWatec dive computer such as the ones listed above, provided you have a compatible IrDA dongle. (Like the ScubaPro supplied one). If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email or check out our website. Oh, and for those who have just converted from Windows to Mac, if you send us your PC SmartTrak logbook file, we will convert it into a Dive Log one for you.

Thanks,
Janice

Are you using JTrak on a Mac to pull dive logs off of your Uwatec dive computer (SmartCOM, SmartTEC, SmartPRO, SmartZ, Aladin PRIME, Aladin TEC, Aladin ONE, Aladin 2G, Aladin TEC 2G, Galileo SOL, Galileo TERRA und Galileo LUNA)? Do you have old logs stuck in JTrak that you would like to move to some other software? Read on!

I recently got back into diving and bought a whole bag of used equipment for a very decent price. One of the items was a very gently used Galileo Sol, which has served me just fine for the time being and I have no urge to replace it yet. Once I had a couple of dives logged, I started looking at software options to manage my dives and all my shiny new (aka used) gear on my beloved MacBook. That's when I first stumbled across MacDive, which looked like an awesome tool to me (still does!). Lo and behold, I quickly found out about the issues around the support for the Uwatec computers in MacDive. Well, bummer, I thought, I'll just make do with JTrak!. That lasted for about 2 weeks and I got frustrated with the lack of features, specifically the inability to manage gear, sites, and other things supported by MacDive. OK, I thought, I'll just export from JTrak and import into MacDive. As you all probably know, that's not an option out of the box. The perl script I found to convert the JTrak Excel output to a format MacDive could work with seemed like a good option. However, in the course of looking for it, I also dug a little deeper into JTrak's data format and code architecture. My goal was to have a simple tool that could convert JTrak data directly into an XML format compatible with other dive log software (mainly MacDive, really! Did I mention that I like MacDive?).

Anyway, long story short, after cobbling something together, I decided to wrap it all up into something others might also find useful: JTrak2XML. Feel free to give it a spin and let me know if it works (or doesn't).

The tool allows you to export all your dives from JTrak to MacDive XML or UDDF format. You will need to enter your name (or someone else's, JTrak2XML don't care) as well as the location of the JTrak app. The window that pops up when you run the tool should be pretty self-explanatory.

For now, it's a pretty bare-bones tool wrapped into a simple application. On platforms other than OS X (not yet tested; when asked for the JTrak app, point it at a file named JTrak.jar instead) you will need to use the command line (a single command you can copy and paste from the GitHub site. You can do it!!).

Let me know what you think! Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

I would really like to use your tool, but I can't find and have never seen jtrak.jar. Currently I download with Jtrak from my Luna, upload the Jtrak.script file to divelogs.de then download to get it in an acceptable form for MacDive. Where do I locate the jar file? Thanks.

I would really like to use your tool, but I can't find and have never seen jtrak.jar. Currently I download with Jtrak from my Luna, upload the Jtrak.script file to divelogs.de then download to get it in an acceptable form for MacDive. Where do I locate the jar file? Thanks.

On a Mac, you should be able to simply point the converter at the JTrak application and it should find the jar file for you. Alternatively, in Finder, right-click on JTrak.app and choose "Show Package Contents." This will bring up the internal folder structure and somewhere in there should be the JTrak.jar file. The converter looks for it in Contents->Resources->Java.

Back
Top Bottom