Converting Metric to Imp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all your advice.

Zept... I like that method. It'l do for me.

Omicron, got it in one. One should always try and fit in with local customs.

Take care all.

Ad

sheck33 once bubbled...
Right now i dive metric because i think metric, when doing shallow (<100') diving with friends............
beyond that in a group i'll be wise to use imperial if the rest of the group uses imperial. Standardization in that case is good, actually i think standardization is good period:boom: :D
\
Oxymoron?

I actually dive metric because thats what I was taught, (in OZ)

I prefer it because it works out so easy.
1 Bar= 10 mts=1 Atmos etc etc

Ive been in the US for a few months now, and Im suprised how many people are using Bar.

See if you cant talk your buddies into going metric too Shek!!!!

Together we can do it!!!! CONVERT THE WORLD!!!!

Hang on, its only the USA that is still using imperial...................:confused:

Keep Smiling!

I'm from the US and I hate the imperial system just as much...metric is SOOOO much easier to use. I don't understand why the heck they don't convert.

I mean...what the hell is an 1/8 of an inch...or 1/32 of an inch. 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, x number of yards to a mile....stupid!!!

I like working in base 10....it's so nicer. *sigh*

Maybe someday they will get a clue.

if NASA looses a few more multi million dollar spaceprobes because of imperial/metric mixups they'll think about it :uncysam: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm an American and I don't like the Imperial system; metric, base 10 is so much easier. My wife, on the other hand, is set in her ways. As her buddy I do the conversions. To multiply by 15 simply multiply by ten (move the decimal, doesn't get easier), divide by two (which is equivalent to multipling by 5) and add the two numbers. Sounds a little complicated at first, but do it a few times (you tip 15%, don't you?) but it is not... it is really a matter of dividing by two and adding to the number on your dial, then move the decimal.

I know someone who was on one of the NASA teams on that bird, worked two years and watched it burn. It sucked, nothing funny about it.

mattiedread once bubbled...
I'm an American and I don't like the Imperial system; metric, base 10 is so much easier. My wife, on the other hand, is set in her ways. As her buddy I do the conversions. To multiply by 15 simply multiply by ten (move the decimal, doesn't get easier), divide by two (which is equivalent to multipling by 5) and add the two numbers. Sounds a little complicated at first, but do it a few times (you tip 15%, don't you?) but it is not... it is really a matter of dividing by two and adding to the number on your dial, then move the decimal.

I know someone who was on one of the NASA teams on that bird, worked two years and watched it burn. It sucked, nothing funny about it.

But for a lot of people this basic math is pretty hard.

What i think is the funny is the persistence with which the US sticks to it's imperial system while the rest of the world moves on. Working on a probe for 2 years and see it fail is not funny i am sure.

It's not only USA that uses Imperial - Canada does, sort of. If you come diving here, you will find most people using feet and PSI.

Just like most stuff we do here - like the US, sort of.

We are really actually crazy here, and a bit schizo - we are legally metric, but conversion was less than a lifetime ago, and many older people just can't change. TV weather, etc is all metric, but ask 100 Canadians how tall they are, and almost no one will have a clue in metric. Younger people are mostly metric, but for whatever reason, Diving here is Imperial. Mostly.

Which is kind of a good reason for an analog pressure gauge - because half way down looks the same in Bar or PSI or ounces per square cubit, or anything you can dream up.

But, I have to agree with those Oz folks, Metric is SO much more sensible.

One weird thing here is there are a lot of guages that show both - at least the analog pressure gauges do. I haven't seen these in many other places - usually just one or the other.

What can you expect from a half frozen wasteland which pretends to have 2 official languages, one of which is hardly understood by half the country? (Despite taking it school for 5 or 10 years!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom