Converting HOG Regulator From Din to Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had meant that there was a lot more to the yoke nut than one traditionally thinks of as a nut. My wife's old yoke regulator actually has a nut that holds the yoke to a post on the regulator. That is why I was having a hard time understanding what fishpie was saying. He was talking about what I would consider an assembly and I was talking about a simple little nut.

The typical scenario, at least with SP DIN and yoke fittings, is very similar the diagram you posted. There is a threaded retainer that holds the DIN hand wheel in place; the retainer threads into the body of the 1st stage, and has a lip on the end to secure the wheel while allowing the use to turn the wheel freely. This retainer usually secures with an allen wrench, probably around 6mm. There's also a filter retainer (at least on the newer SP design and in your diagram) that holds the filter in place, and is secured with a smaller allen wrench, maybe 4mm. First you remove the filter retainer, filter, and spring, then you'll see the larger allen fitting to remove the retainer. There's typically a torque spec, for SP it's around 22 ft/lbs.

The yoke fitting replaces the DIN retainer with a yoke retainer, that threads into the first stage just like the DIN retainer, but instead of the small lip to retain the handwheel there's a big hex fitting cast into the retainer to retain the yoke and allow using either a socket or big open end wrench. This is usually about 1 inch. It's actually much more like a bolt than a 'nut'. Occasionally, you do see yokes that actually thread onto a stud of sorts and are held in place with a circlip, but that's a very different arrangement than what's on the diagram you posted.

The trick for you will be to find a yoke retainer that will fit EXACTLY like your DIN retainer does. You don't want to mess around with this, it's high pressure and you don't want any leaks or any chance of damaging the 1st stage. For a while, the SP (scubapro) retainers were every-so-often destroying MK20s, it's thought due to severe over-torquing by enthusiastic yet really dumb technicians. So SP recalled all MK20s and re-designed the yoke and DIN retainers to be more idiot proof. The point here is, even a very experienced design team for a huge regulator company didn't get it exactly right...although you could certainly blame the knuckle draggers that put so much extra torque on the retainers. So you'll want to either wait for HOG to come out with something, or maybe try the apeks idea although if you do that, you'll want to measure the retainer carefully, maybe with a micrometer, make sure it goes in very smoothly and torques to the correct spec easily. If I were doing something like this, I'd absolutely use a torque wrench and make sure everything fit perfectly before pressurizing the reg.

Sometimes cloned regs are not part-interchangeable. The MK5 was one of the most cloned 1st stages in history and none of us old SP geeks could find a non-SP turret retainer that fit, despite oceanic and TUSA both making clones. Go figure.

I suspect that HOG will come up with a yoke retainer at some point. They started life really marketing their products to tech divers, who usually use DIN connections. But, the regs are so reasonably priced that the recreational market could certainly significantly expand their sales, and having a yoke option would help considerably.

---------- Post Merged at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:48 PM ----------

seems a shame to pay to downgrade the reg.

This comment is completely false and should be ignored; of course you're not 'downgrading' anything in the reg by switching the fitting from DIN to yoke or vice-versa. It's the same reg regardless.

you could certainly blame the knuckle draggers that put so much extra torque on the retainers.

HEY...........................I resemble that remark.

---------- Post Merged at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:49 PM ----------

OK, here's an idea; call divegearexpress and ask them if
DR-RG1229BLKYoke Fitting Assembly, Replacement RG1208, Black, 232-BarIn Stock $35.70
will work in a HOG regulator.

Just ordered a new HOG D1, and beyond stoked to get out on it!
I'm living in Asia for another 5 months, and generally dive every weekend (Only yoke available), then I'll be returning to Canada.
I went with the HOG for its amazing track record on here, as well as the cold water kit.
Is it really that uncomfortable to have the Din to Yoke adapter? Or in other words is the conversion worth the risk to use it as yoke for 5 months?
Basically, tell me what I should be doing with my life? :p

Just ordered a new HOG D1, and beyond stoked to get out on it!
I'm living in Asia for another 5 months, and generally dive every weekend (Only yoke available), then I'll be returning to Canada.
I went with the HOG for its amazing track record on here, as well as the cold water kit.
Is it really that uncomfortable to have the Din to Yoke adapter? Or in other words is the conversion worth the risk to use it as yoke for 5 months?
Basically, tell me what I should be doing with my life? :p

There are two problems with using the din-to-yoke adapter that were mentioned in this form. One is the additional O-ring that may extrude. The solution to that problem is inspect the O-ring and carry spares in your save a dive kit. The second problem is hitting your head on first stage because the adapter places the first stage closed to your body. The severity of this problem depends on where the tank is positioned on the diver and how well the tank stays in that position. If you wear the tank high on your back or if your BC rides up you are more likely to hit your head on the first stage.

I dive the HOG with the yoke convertor. The biggest problem I find is that it pushed the reg closer to the wing, and causes un-necessary strain on the hoses. I have had to replace one of my hoses after less than 50 dives due to this - note that I do not use hose protectors. With the same wing, my yoke regs don't have this problem.
I have now bought DIN tanks though, so this will no longer be a problem apart from when I travel and may have to use the convertor. If I could, i'd buy a different 1st stage and convert it to yoke for travel purposes.

I suspect that HOG will come up with a yoke retainer at some point. They started life really marketing their products to tech divers, who usually use DIN connections. But, the regs are so reasonably priced that the recreational market could certainly significantly expand their sales, and having a yoke option would help considerably.

-

No, we will NOT ever market HOG regs with a yoke connector. HOG is targeted for technical divers and will remain so. We have a entire brand that is optimized for recreational divers with regulators in yoke that offer as much performance and ease of breathing as HOG, it's called EDGE.

---------- Post Merged at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:19 AM ----------

we will have a yoke assembley available to replace the DIN, however it makes the cost of the reg quite high.

I do NOT recommend that anybody follow the advice on here of using other brands parts on their regs, I honestly have not tested to ensure they would work, nor will I be testing. In addition I KNOW for a fact that many of the mentioned parts in this thread are from different sources and I really suspect the specs are not as similar as people think

As the Boss says if you want yoke get an Edge.........
.....but if you already have a HOG and want to convert to yoke the Apeks yoke fits perfectly.
I just experimented since I was servicing both a HOG and Apeks this morning.
6mm allen key to remove the end of the HOG DIN fitting and 19mm deep well socket to remove the rest, and a 12" adjustable for the Apeks yoke nut.
The chrome is a different color but saddle and yoke nut are a direct replacement.

I think what is happening (at least from my perspective) is that Edge gear is just as well talked about as the Hog regulators.
Is it that technical divers are that much more vocal than recreational divers? Or is it that recreational divers want the reputation of the Hog reg on their gear as well??
I wish I had the money to spend on a set of Edge regs as well now that I know about them, but when I was looking for a good cold water set, Hog's were the most consistently mentioned (and loudly applauded) that I found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom