Convert Dive Rite Transpac II to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I've had Dive Rite Transpac 2 with V wing for a few years, its been great but the Oceanic Delta 4 Stage 1 banging on my back of my head is getting old :depressed:. Yes, I've tried crotch straps and various other fine tuning, it helps but doesn't solve the problem.

So I was debating on going to Dive Rite BP/W harness system. Am I going to have the same problem with the Stage 1 banging the back of my head?

The reason I chose Dive Rite Bp/W over other systems is it looks like all I would need to buy is the backplate and the harness which would keep the cost low. And I can use the cam straps and V wing from my current Transpac setup. Would that be the right assumption?

So to sum it up.

1. Do you have issue with Dive Rite BP/W banging the back of your head?
2. Would I require anything other than Backplate and Harness if I were to convert Transpac to BP/W system.

Thanks,
H

Hi,

I've had Dive Rite Transpac 2 with V wing for a few years, its been great but the Oceanic Delta 4 Stage 1 banging on my back of my head is getting old :depressed:. Yes, I've tried crotch straps and various other fine tuning, it helps but doesn't solve the problem.

So I was debating on going to Dive Rite BP/W harness system. Am I going to have the same problem with the Stage 1 banging the back of my head?

The reason I chose Dive Rite Bp/W over other systems is it looks like all I would need to buy is the backplate and the harness which would keep the cost low. And I can use the cam straps and V wing from my current Transpac setup. Would that be the right assumption?

So to sum it up.

2. Would I require anything other than Backplate and Harness if I were to convert Transpac to BP/W system.

Thanks,
H

Have you tried moving the transpac higher on the tank, it sounds like it's too low. This will happen with any B.C. on the market if you place it to low on the tank.
Dive Rite - Dive Rite’s online journal exploring the latest in technical diving Tank hitting the head and the TransPac Harness

Hi,

So to sum it up.

Thanks,
H

1. I have both the Transpac and the Transplate. Neither of them cause the regulator to hit my head if I were to position my tanks correctly. But I will bang my head against the regulators if I were to rig the tank too high regardless of which of these BC I use.

2. If you were to want to use the Dive Rite hard plate then yes, you'd need a hard plate and a harness but you can reuse the wing and cam straps. Though you may need a single tank adapter (SMP in Dive Rite's parlance) to keep the single tank stabilized on the backplate.

yeah, banging your head on the first stage has more to do with the position of the tank. I always run my tank a little high on the backplate and if i'm using a yoke valved tank it basically rests on the back of my head. That's one reason my I prefer din, keep the first stage a few inches off my head so I don't hit it. But if you slide the tank a little lower on the BC that should solve your head hitting issues.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried lowering the tank to as low it can go, pretty much putting the top strap right on the shoulder of the tank. Almost to the point only the bottom cam strap is holding the tank.

I also saw a suggestion for removing the lower back support, so I might tried that.

The Oceanic Delta 4 Stage one is pretty large in terms of how far it sticks out away from the valve. Maybe I should just look for another Regulator. :) cha ching...

H

Another suggestion to lower the tank is to loosen the shoulder straps, lower the waist belt and tighten the crotch strap. Sometimes if you tighten the shoulder straps first, it gets everything riding higher then you want it. I've had that happen with mine.

Worth a try at any rate... :)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried lowering the tank to as low it can go, pretty much putting the top strap right on the shoulder of the tank. Almost to the point only the bottom cam strap is holding the tank.

I also saw a suggestion for removing the lower back support, so I might tried that.

The Oceanic Delta 4 Stage one is pretty large in terms of how far it sticks out away from the valve. Maybe I should just look for another Regulator. :) cha ching...

H

I have a Dive Rite Transpac as well, with same issues. I have been using it without a crotch strap all these years. Just ordered one. Hope it works. Let me know what you did to fix your problem.

Also, saddened that the last person to post here, Cave Bum, passed away in Ginnie Springs last week.

I have the same problem with 1st stage hitting the back of my head. Basically, it is the tank setting too high with repect to my plate. I am using Dive Rite SS plate, DR transplate, Oxycheq mini STA. If I switch to DR STA, the tank will be another 1" higher. However, if I do NOT use any STA, the bank slot on the plate itself is slower than both of that of Oxy and DR STA. So nothing is aginst my head. The problem is the design of the STA. If you do't use STA, it should NOT be a issue.

I have a Dive Rite Transpac as well, with same issues. I have been using it without a crotch strap all these years. Just ordered one. Hope it works. Let me know what you did to fix your problem.

Yeah, I also tried the crotch strap, it didn't help me but who knows, you might have better luck.

So I got frustrated enough and got the Aluminum BP and Harness, I love how easy it is to adjust and it looks like the top cam strap sits lower on my back so I am optimistic that its better. :)

H

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom