Conversion from Metric to Cubic Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all, I could probably figure this out with some basic research but thought I would ask here figuring that someone would instantly know the answer....

I'm headed to French Polynesia and will be dive based out of Bora Bora for the first 10 days of November.. I'm diving with Top Dive. I have contacted them (bit of a language issue) to confirm whether their tanks are DIN or Yolk and they are telling me that all their tanks are convertible so I assume they are DIN with the removeable insert....so I will be leaving my reg in it's current DIN configuration. I'll still be bringing both my yolk fitting and my DIN adaptor to be prepared for any scenario.

I then asked about tank material and volume and approx water temps so that I can plan my initial weighting. They are telling me that I can dive either 12L or 15L tanks and that they are aluminum. 32% nitrox. I'll bring my own analyzer. I asked about fill pressures and they are telling me that they fill to 200 BAR. With that being the case and being that these are all boat dives and I'm a big guy........., I of course am choosing the 15L option.

Question: For a 15L aluminum tank filled to 200 BAR, what is the onboard cubic feet of gas?

15L*200B = 3000L
3000L/28.32 = ~106CF
Similar water capacity to an LP95.

To work it backwards in interest of education:
A Faber LP95 at rated pressure is 95 cubic feet
200B = 2901psi
2901/2640 = 1.1
1.1*95 = 104.4 cubic feet assuming ideal gas laws

Here are some charts I found for steel and aluminum tanks, which include CU and Liters.

Attachments

• qkw6als1qhubenxrmffb.jpg
    qkw6als1qhubenxrmffb.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image-asset.jpeg
    image-asset.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 64
Here's a low-pressure steel chart.

Attachments

• low-pressure-steel.JPG
    low-pressure-steel.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 64
An AL100 filled to 3000 psi will contain about 91 cu ft of gas. They are rated to 3300, often not completely filled. Better than an AL80, 77.4 cu ft.

I'm assuming you are describing equivalent cylinders

Back
Top Bottom