Converting liters to cubic feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, you approximate an atm as a bar, but no one cares.
I have to laugh. There is this tendency to keep 6 decimal places in the calculations, and then approximate 1 bar as 1 atmosphere, when in fact it is only 0.9869233 atmospheres, keeping all those decimal places for the decimal lovers.

I am sorry to say, but physically you are just wrong. And thst confusion comes exactly from this imperial interpretation of gas content.

A volume is a quantity defined as a cubic.in a length dimension, be it meter or feet. It happens that liter is a customary alias for 0.1m x 0.1m x 0.1m. That is independent of any pressure or whatever material is inside.
The ideal gas equation just states, that for a given volume, Pressure and Temperature you have an amount of gas molecules. Thats it.

What this reference to 1 bar actually means is, that you calculate something with a unit pressure x volumen (bar x liter or psi x cubic feet). Then you assume you have a pressure of 1 bar, so you just omit the pressure factor in your equation but keeping it in mind. Thats something like a "natural" unit. You redefine something or know in the end you have to multiply by a factor.

That is alright, no problem. But you cannot then just state you redefine the volume and the volume is pressure dependent. Thats just not how units work.
Lewis Carroll: Through the Looking-Glass.
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

braille diving that s a good one😂

Standard as in availability of compressors that can do that or as in everyone/most people have 300B rated tanks and fill them to their capacity in CH?
Diveshops typically have 200 and 300 Bar filling lines.
My friends and I have 300 Bar tanks. There are still plenty of 200 Bar tanks around and most automated filling stations can only fill 200 bar (which makes them of very limited use, since you also need to sign up and prepay).

lucky you are ! where about ?

Western edge of Tripoli, Libya. A 70 minute dive from shore. Swam about 600 meters out with max depth of 16 meters. Visibility was not good, 5 meters average, but good to be diving after a couple of weeks of bad weather here.

And apart from rebreather tanks almost noone uses 300bar.. doesn't make any sense for most applications since the tanks are more expensive and so much heavier for not that much more useable gas (ideal gas laws and all that).
Tanks are actually lighter, not heavier, for the same amount of content, because you need less actual volume.
Hence it doesn't make sense to use lower pressure tanks.
If you want to shave off some weight, you can use the round ones instead of the long ones.

But keep in mind that steel tanks are heavier than water, so less steel has to be compensated with more lead.
This is also the reason why carbon reinforced steel tanks are not really used. You pay extra to save weight and then you need extra weight to dive.

Western edge of Tripoli, Libya. A 70 minute dive from shore. Swam about 600 meters out with max depth of 16 meters. Visibility was not good, 5 meters average, but good to be diving after a couple of weeks of bad weather here.
About 350 metric kilometers north of you, the visibility is currently 20 to 30 metric meters.....

About 350 metric kilometers north of you, the visibility is currently 20 to 30 metric meters.....
What is a metric meter as opposed to a regular meter?

Now you rub it in 😀

This year the sea state during the summer was the worst I have seen it in years. I can't remember when it was as bad as this year.

The location I dove today has average visibility of 10 - 20 meters usually but not this year.

I should have just kept swimming out further and dove with you today 😄

What is a metric meter as opposed to a regular meter?
They're both the same, however regular meters would be too much off-topic.

I should have just kept swimming out further and dove with you today
I suggest a DPV, one with a solar-panel for recharging during the dive.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom