Contingency Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air On:
What are the solo divers doing for backup air?

Doubles with an isolator manifold.

If you're thinking about a distress buoy and things like that, soloing isn't for you yet.

Redundancy and experience/skill is the best way to stay out of trouble. Figure out what you really need for a dive - and carry two of them. For me, this includes 2 masks, 2 regulators, 2 lights, 2 buoyancy devices (i.e., BCD and dry suit), 2 tanks, 2 bottom timers/depth gauges, 2 compasses, etc.

Solo in small bites. I stayed above 25 feet for many dives before venturing into the deep solo.

The only time I can think of where some kind of beacon or radio would be useful is if you were going to be diving solo from a boat and you were unsure of the tides/currents in that particular location. Would be nice to be able to call the coast guard or another boater for pickup if you calculated the tides wrong. Not recommended (diving from a boat alone, with the possibility of current that is).

If something goes wrong under water a beacon or transmitter is just a way of marking the body. SMB is cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom