Contingency Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your questions are many.

I would never recommend solo diving to anyone...it is something you totally have to decide on your own.

In regards to the practical side of being properly geared....I use a slung pony bottle regardless of diving with a buddy or by myself.

As far as tracking transmitters go....hmmmm never dove with anyone using one.

A proper SMB and/or appropriate lift bag is a must.

Always dive with a slung pony - too small by most people's calculations, but that is my choice. A 6 cf for tropical diving and a 13 cf for cold water. Most dive with more air than that but I consider it for bailout only, if I need more than bailout air then I am in serious trouble. :shakehead

Started with a 19 pony. Still have it and occaisionally use it. ALso have a 40cu ft bottle. But now most of the time I'm in doubles.

Codiak:
I strongly suggest you at least read the SDI training packet... for ~$50 it's a good read whether or not you choose to get the training...

Or just buy the same book from LP for $13.00.

Many solo divers do not carry redundant systems, they choose reliable gear to begin with. I rarely use redundancy and when I do it is for a special circumstance (low viz, current, penetration, overhead, entanglement hazards etc) or dives beyond 60 to 100 feet I may also decide to carry a slung pony or doubles, then again, maybe not.

I don't see carrying a tethered radio of any use. I would consider a personal locator beccon when solo kayak diving far from shore or shore dives that might take me far to sea. N

Nemrod:
Many solo divers do not carry redundant systems, they choose reliable gear to begin with.

I have reliable gear for sure, but still carry redundant gear as appropriate....better safe than sorry.

Air On:
What are the solo divers doing for backup air?

Spair Air?
Complete secondary backup? (full or pony bottles)

Appart from Narcing, Entanglment, etc... The backup air would seem to be the only other worry?

Accident wise I'd think they would require Driving buddies before Scuba buddies?

I'm not planning on any solo dives any time soon, if i can help it, but i'd like to learn all I can, just in case.

Thoughts:
Couldn't a self inflating or manually activated Buoy with a small distress transmitter and 100 feet (or want ever your diving to) of cord be attached to your tank? Then if you go too deep or exceed a preset time limit, POP it deploys. If you get in trouble you can pop it and it deploys?

If you have a surface buoy (Like your supposed to) it could have an emergency transmitter that you have preset the timer and that talks to your dive computer (via the wire your using to tow the Buoy) It could function the same way though pre deployed.

These wouldn't even need to be limited to solo divers even.

Any thoughts or comments?

When you learn (completely learn) to scuba dive (and this may take several courses, like the basic class, then the advanced class, and then the rescue class), you learn to become a self-reliant diver who takes care of his/her gear and carefully plans and executes safe dives.

This does not involve distress transmitters, or towing buoys.

Quote:

"I have reliable gear for sure, but still carry redundant gear as appropriate....better safe than sorry."

Not to be argumentative but with each system you add so do you add the possibility of failure. Robust systems do not require redundancy. Much of the quote--better safe than sorry--is a cliche' which has no bearing on anything. Much of modern diver training is based around using equipment as a crutch to solve some skill deficiency or imagined danger. Not intended to belittle any individual but some divers don't need a crutch(es) and some people don't see safety as the highest pursuit, some sort of Holy Grail to be searched out at the expense of all else, a Jaborwhocky instead.

Redundancy can be good, just think out why you really think you need it and then you have a better idea of how to accomplish it (redundancy) in the simplest and most functional form and along that line, the surface can be your redundancy.

N

Back
Top Bottom