Contingency Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air On

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are the solo divers doing for backup air?

Spair Air?
Complete secondary backup? (full or pony bottles)

Appart from Narcing, Entanglment, etc... The backup air would seem to be the only other worry?

Accident wise I'd think they would require Driving buddies before Scuba buddies?

I'm not planning on any solo dives any time soon, if i can help it, but i'd like to learn all I can, just in case.

Thoughts:
Couldn't a self inflating or manually activated Buoy with a small distress transmitter and 100 feet (or want ever your diving to) of cord be attached to your tank? Then if you go too deep or exceed a preset time limit, POP it deploys. If you get in trouble you can pop it and it deploys?

If you have a surface buoy (Like your supposed to) it could have an emergency transmitter that you have preset the timer and that talks to your dive computer (via the wire your using to tow the Buoy) It could function the same way though pre deployed.

These wouldn't even need to be limited to solo divers even.

Any thoughts or comments?

I've mentioned in other threads that SDI offers Solo Diver training.
One of the main arguments in favor of buddy diving is "He's your redundant air" so yes it's critical to carry a backup tank and strongly suggested a secondary regulator too. Keep the redundant system isolated and complete.

more importantly you need to spend time planning you dive factoring in expected depths, stress and duration to calculate expected air consumption. Once you have your expected usage make sure your PRIMARY air source has at least 1 third extra before your dive, and abort your dive early if you reach the safety margin.
In this mannor your emergency air supply is just that for emergencies and not expected to be used.

as for Spair Air... depending on depth it's not a lot of breathing time... I have a 19CF pony for everyday diving, and 30CF for deep divings.

I strongly suggest you at least read the SDI training packet... for ~$50 it's a good read whether or not you choose to get the training...

Thoughts:
Couldn't a self inflating or manually activated Buoy with a small distress transmitter and 100 feet (or want ever your diving to) of cord be attached to your tank? Then if you go too deep or exceed a preset time limit, POP it deploys. If you get in trouble you can pop it and it deploys?

If you have a surface buoy (Like your supposed to) it could have an emergency transmitter that you have preset the timer and that talks to your dive computer (via the wire your using to tow the Buoy) It could function the same way though pre deployed.
I think that's too much work for so little protection - kinda like leaving the note for someone, in case you don't come back.

I think it would be better to spend your efforts in actually preventing your death, rather than letting someone know you are about to die.

do it easy:
I think that's too much work for so little protection - kinda like leaving the note for someone, in case you don't come back.

I think it would be better to spend your efforts in actually preventing your death, rather than letting someone know you are about to die.

What efforts do you refer to?
Assuming you've already tried to cover all the expected (and most unexpeced problems) What other efforts would you do?

I'm thinking about what does a dive buddy really provide you?
Backup emergency air, helping you get untangled, Going for help, extracting you if your disabled.

If your able to carry the extra air, can rescue yourself in most intances (I'm assuming your planning your dives and following that plan). Then its the Extraction and Recovery your missing.

What other options do you have? What can you do that is less effort?

Sure, worst case senerio... it helps them recover your body without days and days of searching.

Air On:
What efforts do you refer to?
Assuming you've already tried to cover all the expected (and most unexpeced problems) What other efforts would you do?
I was referring to the distress signals and transmitter buoys- they seem like something that makes you a good victim, not a good diver.

Air On:
And what if this safety device inadvertently deploys and *causes* an incident? (It sounds too much like the old CO2 cartridge vests. An interesting idea, but with a significant down side.) If it's easy to deploy, you run the risk of inadvertent deployment. If it's too difficult to deploy, it serves no purpose. (Oh, and just as an aside, for it to reach the surface, you'll need more line than the depth to which you're diving. If there's a significant current, you may need quite a bit more.)

If I need to deploy a surface marker (for whatever reason), I'll just reach behind me, unclip my $16 spool and a lift bag, sausage, or SMB. As far as my depth and time limits, those are for me to monitor and observe. Barring instant death from some medical complication, it should be *trivial* to keep an eye on your dive's vitals. If it isn't, you need to alter your diving and work on things until it is.
Air On:
Whenever possible, I *don't* dive with a surface marker. I'll pull one along when I'm in regulated waters, but only because they are required by law. In my experience, they attract the least intelligent of boaters, and they pose significant (perhaps even formidable, if you're inexperienced) entanglement risks.

Anyway, when I'm towing a float, I'm on a shore dive. When I'm on a shore dive, I don't really know exactly how long I'm going to be down or to what depth I'll go. All I have is a loose dive plan and some sliding minimum gas remaining numbers. If the vis is great, I may end up 60-70' deep; if I decide I don't like the thermocline that day, I may spend two hours at 15', instead. About the only times I have a reasonably inflexible plan are when I'm diving off a boat, and the boat already has flags, lines, and even an emergency recognition system (i.e. the captain and any crew).

From everything I've seen, I would doubt the practicality of a system to communicate with diver computers. Even if you solved the technological problems involved in making a reliable communication system, it would require the purchase of entirely new computers and the like.

Now, as for the original thread-topic question, I dive with a front-slung pony on *all* my dives over 19' and on most of the shallower dives as well. Most of the time, the pony is an AL19, but I also have an identically-rigged AL30. If I have any reason to want more reserve than the AL19 gives me, I can simply swap the regulator over and be set to go. (Each cylinder has its own *complete* rigging, with all the clips, bands, line, and even bungees already in place.) For those very unusual dives, my save-a-dive pack also has all the pre-assembled rigging to sling an AL80, which leaves me *no* incentive to make a dive without what I consider to be *ample* gas reserves.

Air On:
e.

Thoughts:

That would not work too well inside a cave or a wreck :wink:

I have found that the more I dive, the more these questions get answered. Everything is still new to you and that is ok. So my sugguestion is, dive with your LDS or local dive group and pay attention to what they have in terms of gear and such and gain experience. In doing so you will find that a lot fo the stuff you were thinking of having is overkill and more of a hassle (and danger) than a benifit to you. Keep your set up simple with the essentials as you can only do so much underwater.

Practice your skills and become a compentant diver, this I would say is your biggest asset.

As back up air is important, see what the other divers have and see what you like or don't like. Don't even bother with the small spare airs, when ready, spend the money and get a proper pony bottle set up. Whether I solo or buddy I have a 30cft slung.

Read and search through this board as there is a lot of great material.

Air on,
The biggest hurdle you, I, or anyone has in solo diving is trust in themselves, trust in thier skills and thier training, and ( here is the big secret) Be true to yourself.
Diving solo a lot of places does not require a ( big set) unless we are talking doubles, it requires a big mind.
The single most usefull piece of gear I have ever seen on a dive boat is a mirror. It is used to look at yourself pre-dive, and reflect on yourself and the plan.
Am I able to make this dive safely?
Am I diving within my skill set?
Am I physicaly prepared to make this dive?
Am I prepared to accept the responsibility for my own actions, without causing harm to others?

These are the things that define good divers, be they solo or team.
Hang around in hear and ask lots of questions and you will get answers.
Back to the original question:
Total redundancy of all systems as well self rescue are paramount.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom