Contacts or prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second what Spectrum said earlier.

I'm 60 and I wore contact lenses for four decades. The older hard lenses were much more likely to float out in the water; current soft models are much more reliable. You can try that for yourself in a pool and see what you get.

Plus, what are the chances you're going to get your mask flooded or kicked off? What sort of diving will you be doing? While we concentrate on these skills in training I hope my students will be able to avoid anything more than the occasional annoying leak. If your mask gets kicked off maybe it's time to call the dive.

-Bryan

PS. That said, I paid the big bucks for lasic correction eight years ago (when my shop's owner was trying to recruit me for instructor) and I've been very happy with the results. Lasic's not for everyone, and is expensive, but I have friends who had it a decade before me and still are happy with the results.

That's a reasonable price for custom ground lenses, with bifocals no less.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Easy way to do it is wear monovision CTLs.....in some cases, all you need is 1(in the non-dominant eye) for near work---& wear nothing in the fellow eye for distance.....damn presbyopia is a witch, unless you're an eye doctor........:wink:

I second what Spectrum said earlier.

I'm 60 and I wore contact lenses for four decades. The older hard lenses were much more likely to float out in the water; current soft models are much more reliable. You can try that for yourself in a pool and see what you get.

Plus, what are the chances you're going to get your mask flooded or kicked off? What sort of diving will you be doing? While we concentrate on these skills in training I hope my students will be able to avoid anything more than the occasional annoying leak. If your mask gets kicked off maybe it's time to call the dive.

-Bryan

PS. That said, I paid the big bucks for lasic correction eight years ago (when my shop's owner was trying to recruit me for instructor) and I've been very happy with the results. Lasic's not for everyone, and is expensive, but I have friends who had it a decade before me and still are happy with the results.

Check your spelling of LASIK, you might be surprised(@ least I hope that's what you received---:))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom