Consuming fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
While reading another thread, this piqued some interest in the ole brain.

Do you eat fish?

What kind?

Avoid any (species or method)?

I don't eat a lot of fish, but do enjoy wild salmon, halibut, trout and tuna and whatever local fish while I'm on vacation (snapper, snoke, lion fish, etc). I don't enjoy the taste of shell fish, and don't eat squid/octo/etc.

I have no issues with people eating any fish either.

What about you?

_R

I'm pretty sure this post doesn't belong in Basic Scuba Discussions.

Just about anything that comes from the sea that isn't endangered or toxic is fair game for my plate.

I love fish. I tend to avoid grouper since diving and realizing, as someone else once posted, that they're really cute. I'll happily chow down on bass, bluegill, catfish, salmon, mahi-mahi, dorado, barracuda, etc...

I don't consider 'shell fish' to be fish (since they're not). I will eat octopus or squid, scallops, lobster, even an oyster if you cook it.

Where fish is concerned, I don't want to hear anything about sushi, sashimi, ceviche, smoked or 'pan-seared.' On my last live-aboard somebody caught a fish (looked like a mackerel) and basically cut it open and people could eat the meat. I balked, albeit politely, and a perceptive, friendly fellow passenger said to me 'Let me guess. Where you come from that ain't food, that's bait!' Yep.

Richard.

Mostly offshore game fish like mahi and wahoo that I or someone else in my family catches

Also like flounder and mullet. We are picked on constantly about mullet but it's pretty much a delicacy in our little corner of NC

I do like shrimp and crab, but developed a severe allergy to it when I turned 12

We eat Halibut very rarely. I eat small salt water Perch each summer that I catch fishing in the Hudson River. I don't catch enough each year to worry about eating what comes out of the Hudson. I do enjoy one meal of Deep Sea Scallops each fall that I collect at a close by dive site, as well as half a dozen flounder I poke spear each year.

I will eat just about anything on the menu. My appetizer tonight was octopus and pork belly. Yum!

I do not discriminate.
I will eat any and all forms of sea life.
The most beautiful fish are the most delicious.
:stirpot:

I think the only good catfish is a dead catfish, thin sliced and deep fried with Cajun spices.

Otherwise, I like salmon and "tunafish." :rofl3:

ETA: and shrimps! I make a fab spicy Moroccan shrimp dish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom