Console vs Air Integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith A

Registered
Reaction score
Would the fine members of the Scuba Board help me to determine between a console style computer vs. and air intergrated computer. Pro's and Con's.

Thanks all,:)

I would like to know this as well I see a lot of people saying they are getting out of air/nitrox computers and going for a straight up nitrox computer for tech diving. I am actually thinking of getting a wrist computer and I am eventually going to get a nitrox cert so im a little hesistant until i know whats the reason.

very few computers now are air only... Not sure about AI's...
why console mount? why not wrist mount?

Console mount-Cheaper-can be used as wrist mount later when/if you get into tech diving
AI- $$$-if it's hose integrated then it can't be used in tech diving, conversely, if it's wireless then $$$$$$-
No real advantages to AI as far as diving goes, but it's nice to get constant SAC feeds, dive times based on your air and NDL's instead of just NDL's. Makes logging easier since the computer records all of your pressures and what not.
Downsides- For tech diving, you need analog backups, so you still need a normal SPG anyway. Makes you lazy as a recreational diver not watching your pressures so closely as it watches it for you and will beep at intervals...
This has been beaten to death though... search around

very few computers now are air only... Not sure about AI's...
why console mount? why not wrist mount?

Console mount-Cheaper-can be used as wrist mount later when/if you get into tech diving
AI- $$$-if it's hose integrated then it can't be used in tech diving, conversely, if it's wireless then $$$$$$-
No real advantages to AI as far as diving goes, but it's nice to get constant SAC feeds, dive times based on your air and NDL's instead of just NDL's. Makes logging easier since the computer records all of your pressures and what not.
Downsides- For tech diving, you need analog backups, so you still need a normal SPG anyway. Makes you lazy as a recreational diver not watching your pressures so closely as it watches it for you and will beep at intervals...
This has been beaten to death though... search around

i don't agree with this blanket statement.

The sets of console computers and air integrated computers actually intersect. Quite a few console computers have air-integration, as they attach to the HP hose.

Air integration, however, is available in console and wrist-mount models. The advantage of a console is that it is attached to your regulator, and therefore you won't forget it, and console models are cheaper. However, you have to take the entire regulator indoors to log, unless you have a quick disconnect -- and then you've lost the "cannot forget it" part of the console.

Wrist-mount models are more expensive and involve a transmitter. Transmitters CAN be temperamental about synching, and go through batteries fairly often, and give no warning when the battery is low.

Wrist mount computers are also available in non-air integrated models. They are cheaper, but require that the diver put an SPG on his rig.

My choice is a non-air-integrated wrist computer, because I do not need to see my pressure on a minute-to-minute basis, but I like to be able to watch my depth constantly, especially during descent and ascent. Some folks accomplish much the same thing by clipping a console to their chest somewhere, so they can just look down and see it.

Last edited:
i don't agree with this blanket statement.
+1

My air integrated computer console is my pressure gauge, I check my tank pressure just as often as I would an analog gauge

fair on blanket statement. It was meant more towards the general trend against teaching tables and also how a lot of divers tend not to be able to plan their dives based on their sac. "well my computer tells me how much time I have left". don't buy that. You guys may be an exception to the rule, but I don't see many recreational divers with AI computers that could function if the computer failed, other than "make an immediate ascent"
I don't like leaving my gas pressure in the hands of a battery, so I advise against an AI console for my students, and even if they have a wireless one, I still require them to have an analog gauge run normally. If you're gonna do it, go wireless, but it's really not required and I can't justify the price difference to have something log my air for me.

Air-integrated computers display NDLs and remaining tank pressure. The electronic sensor indicating tank pressure is reliable and accurate. As saxplayer1004 alluded to, by default, the AI computers will display the lesser of: (a) NDLs or (b) minimum ascent time based on remaining gas supply. I suppose this might be nice for a diver with very poor situational awareness, deficient gas monitoring habits, and a lack of proper gas management skills. Then again, most divers do just fine keeping their NDL display (console/wrist dive computer) separate from their remaining gas pressure (analog SPG).

Wireless AI technology has gotten more reliable over time. Some divers have had very good experiences with it. Others complain of an occasional loss of signal, resulting in no tank pressure information, which can be frustrating. I could see it being a useful feature for UW photography/videography (being able to check on remaining gas by looking at wrist), but I've also heard that strobe flashes can interrupt the wireless signal. Some implementations of wireless AI technology don't play well with valve drills, either. Many folks with wireless AI computers end up adding a HP hose + analog gauge to their reg anyway as a "backup," so the aim of having one less hose connected to the reg isn't achieved after all. If I used a wireless AI computer for regular OW recreational diving, I'd probably just dive the computer without an analog SPG backup. In the event of signal loss, I'd thumb the dive. I would still keep an analog SPG + HP hose in my save-a-dive kit in case the wireless computer didn't pair with the transmitter during pre-dive checks.

My personal preference is to use a wrist-mounted non-AI computer and an analog SPG. I check my tank pressure approx. once every 5 minutes in addition to other important moments during a dive. It's not a big deal to clip/unclip the SPG to do a momentary gauge check. It's convenient to be able to view depth, dive time, and NDLs by just checking my wrist.

FYI, several non-air-integrated computers nowadays can be mounted in a console or on a wrist.
If you have a computer model that can be mounted in a custom-made elastomeric bungee wrist-mount manufactured by Deep Sea Supply, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Those wrist-mounts work great -- relatively inexpensive, depth-compensating (due to the bungee), and very easy to don/doff.

Hope this helps...

Some of these replys would lead me to believe that the poster has only ever read/ heard about AI computers. Modern computers are very reliable and no better/ worse than analog SPGs.

I reccommend that you check each brand you're interested in as some have problems, but I have used at least 5 different AI computers and have had no problems. If you are interested in a hoseless AI, try to get one that has the transmitter programed into the unit. Devices that require you to "Sync" before each dive DO have intermittent signal issues. Also don't wear your compass on the same wrist as your computer as the magnet will interfere.

As SaxPlayer alluded to, technology does not replace dive planning and safe dive practice. Monitor your computer as often as you would your spg. With experience, if your computer fails, you will be able to know your relative pressure based on your depth and the last reading you got. This information will allow you to do a safe ascent and safety stop. Personally, I teach my students (all recreational) that any equipment malfunction warrant an abort dive, so not sure what sax is referring to.

Personal preference will dictate whether you like a consol mount or hoseless wrist mount, but highly reccommend AI computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom